1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

zinc anoid?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by www.rs-lawn.com, Feb 23, 2005.

1. www.rs-lawn.com

www.rs-lawn.com Junior Member

i had to take my truck in to have some service done to it, and the mechanic told me that i should get some zinc anoid. i asked him what it was, and he told me that it was a brick that attracted (almost magnetized) salt. he said that u mount it in your engine and it should help protect your truck from crosion. i called a few shops, and they said they never heard of such a thing. has anyone ever heard of zinc anoid?

2. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

you mean anode?

I think he is talking of an anode.. or some spelling like that.. anode and cathode the zinc will be the sacrificial element. The gas company uses them on underground piping. Instead of the piping rusting away the anode corrodes. They also make electric things you can put on truck to stop rust but I don't know how good they work.

Hope that was some help

Dave

3. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

marine problem

zinc is used as a sacraficial anode. electrolosis is experienced by boats left in the water. current flows though whatever conductor is in the water and causes the metal to be eaten away. example: fiberglass boat(non conductor) and an out board motor(conductor) the more reactive metal will be eaten. vehicles do no live in water. however anyone who has heard a power line buzz knows that air can be a conductor.(lightning) so go to a marine store and buy a zinc disc for $4.95 and sleep knowing you have done all you can to stop air electrolosis(that is a new word made up by me!)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2005