1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Zero turns with snow blowers what do you think?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Bo-Line, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Bo-Line

Bo-Line Junior Member

I have just been awarded several accounts with a total of about 200 houses. Most of these are duplexes or quadplexes. I am only doing the driveways, front stoops, and sidewalks. I am thinking my atv with blade would be good for the driveways in front of the properties and putting blowers on my zero turns for the driveways. What do you guys think? Anybody use this type of equipment for this? How does it work? Also I talked to the guy at my local grasshopper dealer and he was suggesting about putting these little brush attachments on the end of my stihl trimmers to do the front stoops. I thought this might be great instead of shoveling. Anyone use anything like this as well. I know they wouldn't be good for ice, but as crazy as this sounds, we aren't required to remove the ice, just snow. Thoughts, advice? Thanks all!

2. Young gun

Young gun Junior Member

What type of snow do you get down in KC? Heavy, wet, deep? I have about 400 condo unit my guys clear. Our favorite equipment has been the 3 snowblowers on skidloaders. This year I've added a New Holland TV 145 with Pronovost PXPL blower. We'll see if it does as they say. As for the brush attachment on a trimmer, they work great in light snow not wet stuff.

3. Bo-Line

Bo-Line Junior Member

z turns

Young gun we get a fairly wet snow. It probably snowed about 50" last year, which was a pretty decent amount for us. I'd say it's usually about 2/3 that normally. As I'm this is a fairly new company, I don't have the liquidity to buy skidsteers. I wondered about them. Can I ask a few questions? How wide are your skid blowers? What do you use in tight spots around garage doors, up close to the front stoop, ect? How many guys do you have and on a 4-6" snow how long does it usually take to do all of them on an average. What percentage of that is drive time? What do you use to clean steps or the front stoops that are not level with the rest of the surfaces? All of my properties are single garges so they're not very wide, that's why I was thinking about the zero turns. Thanks for all the info, sorry I asked so much.

4. Young gun

Young gun Junior Member

I have two 74" bobcat blowers and done 66". All machines are set up electric over hydraulic allowing the shoot to be turned in your finger tips. Two straight passes then on the third pass we turn in front of the garage door as if you were scooping the snow away. Don't forget to turn the shoot as you turn the machine so the snow stays infront of the machine. On one project with 128 units I just use one 873 Bobcat with 74" blower. TIme for average snow (not wet) is about 4 hrs. Behind the driver I have 3 or 4 guys shoveling. When snow is in the forcast I move the machines from our shop to the project. All of our accounts are within 5 miles of my shop. As for the zero turns, I've watched one guy use a grasshopper with the blower.... Looks to do allright when the snow was under 3" and not very wet.
    Hope this help you out.