1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

you're expensive! that was quick... the last guy used to charge $X

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Mar 22, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

I heard all three of those lines over St Patrick's day weekend...
    I had a long conversation with a woman about plowing her husband's office... very small lot... She looked through all her old bills and was only paying $75 or whatever, where I charged 125... I replied, if you liked their prices why did you make a change... "Well because they aren't in business anymore"... Lady... let me tell you why they aren't in business anymore... because they weren't charging enough money to make it worth all the hastle in this business.... If you are looking for the cheapest price out there, that is not me... This is a business.. I pay $2K/month in yellow pages and have an office manager. This is not some kid with a pick up truck... My clients realize the value of high quality reliable service and are willing to pay for it.

2. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

Problem is you can tell her till your blue in the face but all they care about is the price,I've had a guy once try to talk his way out of $30 for a driveway 2 years ago and try to offer me $5.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

When I here that (I paid Jo shmow $40 and your chargin $55) I say OK I'' charge you the same...... But for $40 I wont show up ether!!! After we all have a laugh. I always make the sale!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Instead of trying to explain your costs, etc, just use the "quick answer" - "You get what you pay for - and you did".

5. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

The smaller lots, and sometimes just cheap people only care about price, but you get into the medium to large comericals, and it's more about service, how much equipment you have the condition of it, how fast you can be there. then the price.

but you will always have the ones that search for the lowest price and nothing more. They want that guy with one truck that's lowballing. They want them until that one truck breaks down, and they don't get their lot cleaned.

6. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

so many costs

I agree, for $40 I wont show up either. I like that one.

when they pull out that old bill I like to say, do you have a gas reciept from around that time compared to this year.

I am in business to make business not go out of business.

7. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Careful bashing the small businesses. Their are plenty of us on here that are small but still not deadbeat, lowballing, and uninsured, and will provide quality professional work.
    I'm not attacking, just saying don't step on any toes and piss people off. There are a lot of hot heads:yow!: that will be smashing there keyboards.

8. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I had a guy try to tell me he was paying $15 for his driveway last year. I had a hard time believeing that, until I started thinking, and I guess it happens all the time around here. rich daddys are buying their kids plow trucks.

Hey I got a great idea, lets buy our kid a job!!!! not.

Ive only been doing this for a few years and im still somewhat of a kid, but I worked my way up. But I SWEAR that each year my cost of business goes up, however prices have been seeming to come crumbling down these past 2 years.

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I did one of my customer good friends a favor the last storm. It was over 12" and this guy calls me on my cell and asks "how much" I told him at least 50, I have to see the driveway. He with his Indian accent "no no no I pay less, you do 30 dollars?". I said.. no it's 50, and if you like, I just finished my wrought and can can over right now. Again he said 50 is allot, I said no it is not -polity. I told him I charged the people who referred you to me 50, should I give them the money back.. silence. He said "OK, I pay 50, you come now"
    It's just funny I work with some guys from that part of the world and It seams they like to barter, Maybe it's common there.. lol

So anyway when I get there the guy was very nice and I was waiting for him to move his car out and his neighbors ( from his country) came over to my window. This man with a very thick accent says" I pay you 30 for driveway"... I said no, I charge $50, this is a lot of snow and I'll do a nice job for you. He comes back and said I have 7 houses you do all them for 30 each, bla bla bla.. That's what the other guy charges. I said where is he? He said no no I get the guy for 30. OK I said, Good luck, I hope he shows up for you. I finish the first guys driveway back dragging it and doing a nice neat job. he's very happy and give me his card.. the guys a doctor! After we small talk ...I tell him listen, I would go to see you with my neighbors sick kids and ask for a 40% discount because I have multiple kids.. he laughed and agreed with me and said If you don't mind, I would like to have you plow here again!

I go by about 3 hours later and what do I see?? The other houses the got the guy for 30.. all the lawns torn to crap, mud and grass strips on the piles of snow... I'm thinking, next time I bet I get the 50 out of the other cheep bastards....It was so bad I took a picture with my phone to show my friends when I tell them the story! lol