1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your trigger and build up

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MikeRi24, Nov 21, 2008.

1. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

I I do all residentials with a have a 3" trigger, and all my customers are cool with it. That doesn't even matter because for what I'm asking, your specific trigger amount has nothing to do with it. So, lets say tonight, we get an inch. tomorrow during the day we get a little more, the next day, maybe a couple days go by and another inch and over the course of a few days with a little snow here and there, 3" builds up. Do I plow? Obviously the customers are gonna be packing it down by driving over it so it may not be a true 3" in some spots, but seen as how its not all dumped on in one huge storm will you still plow if your trigger is hit overe the course of a few small storms over a few days. Does what I'm asking make sense?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry to much. With them driving on it and sun melting it down you won't really have 3 inches on the ground.

3. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

I understand you are asking if we get 3 days of snow at 1 inch a day should you go plow a residental driveway my answer is no. Just like grandview said probally wouldn't be 3 inches after 3 days. Even if it did not melt it is just going to be a block of ice. You could probally go throw out some salt though.

Brad

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, no need to drive around to all them and waste gas. Like you said it is all packed down.

5. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Trigger doesnt matter. The next days temperatures do. If that one or two inches is going to freeze, and become a hard-pack, you will be screwed for not scraping everyone down.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

I was going to say the same thing.

If you let it get built up and pressed down you will not have an easy time getting it back down to pavement.

7. ford550

ford550 Senior Member

I agree too. All depends on temps. When I first started many moons ago, I didn't go out for something like that and boy did the calls start rolling in. Our trigger is 2" on resi's, but we have scraped at less because of the temps. That why in our contract is says we have the ultimate decision when deciding when too clear. That way there is no confusion with the customer on whats expected. You go out when you have too. Not when they want you too.

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

It depends on how often you want to go make money. You could phrase your contract in two ways:

1. Plowing to commence upon X inches on accumulation during a single weather event.

OR

2. Plowing to commence on X cumulative inches of snowfall.

Option two does not matter if it's packed down or not, allowing you to bill if you get a one incher followed by a two incher the next day... you have met your 3 inch cumulative trigger.

9. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

3" during one day. No exceptions.

10. Woodland

Woodland Senior Member

This is precisely why I don't use triggers on residential accounts. Too many variables than just snow depth. I plow when I think it is necessary. If you don't like that then hire someone else to plow.

11. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Direct Quote from MY Contract:
    "In any snow event during November 1st - April 30, it is expected we will arrive unannounced to your property to clear away the snow that has fallen. It should be assumed we will come, no matter the accumulation amount unless otherwise notified.

12. JDiepstra

So then you charge per plow huh? And you plow only 1/2 inch and charge for that? I guess if you can find enough customers who are okay with that.... :dizzy:

13. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Here, yes, we get paid when we plow. There are no such things as seasonal contracts on small lots or private accounts.
    We don't plow at a 1/2". 2"-3" is the fine line, then obviously everything over that.
    I role 7 seven residential trucks only in my town, all with the same policy, so we must be doing something right!

14. JDiepstra

2-3" makes much more sense. Sounds like you are doing well! Nice job.

15. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

how does a per push collect their pay? do you go to the house the next day and say "im here for my $35, please"?

16. Hunter9

Hunter9 Member

I give my customers the option. On completion, monthly or lump sum at end of season (these are mostly for snow birds that are in Florida or folks w/ cabins & Only on those I REALLY trust).

For the most part it is a even split between monthly and per trip for payment.

17. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have some accounts that are 2" triggers, but most are 1" triggers. On my 2 inch accounts, if it snows 3/4" in the afternoon and 1.25" early the next morning, I am out checking their account with a ruler. Where people haven't driven, if the snow is 2" or more I am plowing. If it has melted down and is not at the 2" trigger, then I am not plowing. It is pretty simple to me. If they reach 2" in the middle to the end of the day, I probably won't plow that account until early the next morning just incase it snows more.

18. BRENTMAN

BRENTMAN Senior Member

that really helped me out man, i think i'll do the exact same.
    (as for paying the whole thing at the end of the season, screw that)