1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snowman52, Jun 14, 2002.

1. Snowman52

Snowman52 Junior Member
    from NW Mi.

Do you think a person could make a living on snowplowing alone?The wife works and makes big bucks.Don't get me wrong I am not lazy,just wanted your thoughts.
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes there are a few people out there that make a living by doing just snowplowing like John Allin.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

At the sima show I met three people who are snow only, some had over a hundred plows and loaders/skids and one had less than ten. These people have achieved my dream.
    :drinkup: :drinkup:
  4. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I think John Allen still owns a landscape co
  5. Temco

Temco Member

I always dreamed about it and last year was my first year of plowing. Luckily I have another full time job in addition to my grounds maintenance business because we only had 4 plowable events last winter. I worked for a major property owner in my area and just about made enough to pay for insurance, gas and labor. Hope to be on my own this winter but have enough money in reserve to pay the notes just in case!
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I have ownership equity in a couple of other business's in addition to the snow business..... Our snow business takes up almost all of my time, and given the dollars as compared to the other entities we have ownership in - snow is the lions portion of our revenue base.
  7. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Most people plow to keep their landscape guys busy during the winter.

I'd like to landscape during the summer simply to give my plow guys some exercise after sitting in their trucks all winter.
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2002
  8. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Make a living by snowplowing only? :D It all depends on what you consider making a living. What you or anyone else consider is always different. I at one time could live very comfortable on plowing only but as all I like having more;) ;) . It's not hard to make $100,000.00 gross plowing around here if you make the right contacts, I've got 2 friends that I started in the plow biz & both of them make $100,00.00 & more. But is it enough, not really as I like to have my toys & have 3 to 4 vacations a year plus save for the kids & my retirement .:waving: I also own another biz that does most of my $$$$$.
  9. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Sure can! I personally know several (no, I'm not one of them)

Buddy of mine play golf literally every day during the summer. He works maybe 2-4 hours/day during the summer.