1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on this 02 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wilnip, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Going to look at and possibly make an offer on this truck Monday. 2002 Chevy 2500HD, Ext cab, Long Bed. 111,000 miles. 6.0L They are asking $9850. Is it worth it? Good plow truck?
    I will be hanging a Sno Way Vee plow on it.

2. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Very hard to tell you if its worth it without pictures and real detailed description of the truck. Much depends on its current condition, what it was previously used for, options, etc. If it is in good shape, the price seems in the ballpark to me. It will plow well but may be an inconvenience with an extended cab and a long bed.

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

4. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Extra cab long bed, good for plowing the roads ,could get tough doing driveways due to length, remember the setup just gets longer with the plow on, also interior is just a stripped down work truck interior, roll ups, front bench with no center arm rest that price of close to 10 grand is way off in my book.

5. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

7. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

8. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Just an update. We looked at the truck Sunday but was waiting to hear back about a F250 also. They sold the truck Tuesday. That's ok, I wasn't in love with it. F250 went to the auction. So, I'm still shopping....

9. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

I wouldn't touch that 2500 at that price. Its got rust spots here and there and it looks like the passenger side rocker is well on its way to being swiss cheese (they rot from the inside out, the rust spot right behind the wheel well is right around where the water got in (for the 9 or so years before they put on those nice new mud flaps) and it tends to flow to the back corner and eat away right under the back door hinge, which also shows some discoloration. By the time the damage is evident, its too late because it happens from the inside out. Passenger rear door also doesn't look like its aligned properly...have to womder if its been in an accident or its already on a second set of rockers. Also notice no shots of the driver's side.

$6000. Its a 10 year old truck with over 100k miles, undesirable body configuration and what looks like zero options.

Edmunds says its worth about $7k.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Watch out for the Snow Way V's too. My buddie sold Snow Ways a couple years ago. He sold 54 Snow Way plows that season, and the only 2 to come back for issues were the only 2 V's he sold. One guy had so many issues he wound up selling it shortly after.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You're a bit of a hike from me but I can talk to a buddie of mine about selling his truck. He has kicked around the idea before. It's an 02 X cab short bed GMC 2500HD. 285 Michelins, some rust bubbles on the rockers, but a sharp looking truck. White/gray int. Power windows and locks, aftermarket CD, etc... The truck has 140k but it has a new motor with around 10k. He's a certified shop and did the install himself. Everything new at the time.....Water pump, manifolds, cooler lines, you name it. The factory one had the known wristpin rattle and was never warrantied. He went to do manifolds last year and it had broken studs in the back so he said heck with it and pulled the motor and replaced it. He is that type of person....he has the money and would rather spend it to do it right than dick around. I know for a fact he has over $5k his cost into doing the motor.

Again, I'm not pressing a sale, but it's a good truck and would be within your budget. It has a 9.5 Snowdogg V currently that may or may not go with it for some extra coin. It has air bags and an onboard compressor as well, strobes, etc.....all of which I'm sure could be negotiated in. It's been a plow truck for a handfull of years(4-5?), but he maintains his stuff to a T. It has had ball joints, tie rods, brakes, shocks, etc when needed. Everything has been mechanically maintained current. If there's a question on any needed maintenance he would fix it before selling it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  12. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

H20, Thanks for the input. The guy Im buying the plows off of is a sno way dealer and giving me a great deal on a new straight blade for my Dodge 1500 and the v plow. He will sell any parts i need at cost. Ive been friends with him and plowed for him for years.

As far as the truck, see what he wants for it. It have to be a hell of a deal for me to go to IN for it.

13. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Will do....