1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts on Curtis plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIsingletracker, Aug 26, 2004.

1. MIsingletracker

MIsingletracker Junior Member

I'm new to this site, but have been plowing for about 12 yrs. My previous plows have been Myer straight 7.5's. I usually plow about 6 driveways (rural) and one small business lot. We now have an '04 F350 diesel and I'm in need of a new (or new to me) plow for it.
    I've been doing a little shopping and am liking the features of the Curtis brand. I would like to know what some experienced drivers think of them vs. other brands. The prices all are in the same ballpark from what I'm seeing. The Curtis seems to have the fastest/easiest hookup system. I also like getting away from having the lights left on the truck, like I've had with my Myers. I know pretty much all brands have that setup now. Plus, Curtis seems to have the least noticeable frame on the truck.
    I'm also considering a V, but not sure the plowing I do warrants the extra expense. I know I wouldn't have a problem getting the hang of one.
    If I were to get a straight, I'm thinking an 8'. I've found a dealer that has a leftover Curtis 8' that could get all installed for $2900 + tax. Is there enough improvements with the Phase II to make the previous models undesireable?
    Any problems with the Curtis V's? Or, other manufacturers V's? I was told by one dealer if bought a Boss V to be real careful if running it scoop mode because they won't trip. Anything like that with Curtis? Any problems with the Curtis straights that make other brands superior?
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

2. GLLLC

GLLLC Member
    from CT

I could tell you a little something about Curtis Plows. Two of my buddies have them. They both have had a tone of trouble with them. One of them is on a 96' Ram and the other is on a 03" F250. Lets start with the Ram, I personally have welded the truck undercarriage twice and replaced four bolts that either snapped or stretched. Hes had to replace the relay three times already and constantly has problems with a ground. He does use this commercial and its a 8 footer. The 03' is also an 8 footer. Last winter he had to replace two hoses, and the switch for the automatic jack and one of the springs. Besides all those problems, the way that the control gets mounted in the cab next to the window, scratches the plastic all up. I personally think it makes the new truck look like crap when the interior is already scratched up. Just my two cents.

3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

Well they have revamped the production and been redisigned they have very good fwd thinking i would count them out yet it might be something i will be getting that or a western

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok here is my thoughts on Curtis. I have a 2001 chev 2500 HD with a curtis snowpro 3000. I love this blade,it comes on and off very easy. I did have to replace a relay but it only cost 9.00 and took about 20 mins or so. I have not found a snow pile that this blade and truck could not handle. Would I buy one again YES,the only downside is there is not alot of people who service them.

Regards Mike

5. black95gt

black95gt Junior Member

im in the process of trying to go and get some accounts, mostly commercial accounts. I have a 2003 f-250 crew cab diesel and have put the add-a-leaf in my front suspension to help support the weight and to lift the truck up a bit. What i get for a blade depends on how many accounts i get. I am hoping for somewhere between 10-15 accounts about the size of a McDonalds parking lot. Question is, what kind of plow should i get. I would like a V-plow is that the way to go? If so, how much will a new one cost installed?

Also, on commercial accounts, how much snow do you usually have to get before they want you to push your lot? I know the city wont plow streets until there is 3-4 inches. Is that the way it is for private?

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a curtis plow on a 2000 F-150, been using it for two winters now. Not a single problem with the plow or truck. Definately the least noticeable plow mount and it provides the best ground clearance, although the newer fisher minuite mounts come close in that area. Its a tough plow and i like everything about it. On and Off is very quick and easy, i also like the fact that all all wiring is incorperated into just one plug (other brands usually 2 0r 3). Location of hydraulics is similar to that of blizzard or snoway except the curtis uses a lift chain. I got the "standard" controls, one small rod for up/down the other for left/right mounted on my left right beside eachother. I would not get the joystick as it is too big and ugly. Another thing iam happy with is how well it stacks the snow. IMO since the truckside mount is up high on the vehicle (just under the bumper) is does not dig in to the snow as your front wheels ride up the pile. Try the same thing with a western unimount for instance, the mount would dig in and you wouldent be able to stack as high. Could not tell you anything about their V-plows i have never even seen one in real life just on their website. Looks fine but who knows. I only used a fisher V once for about five mins. so i know nothing about V's. Over all a great plow that iam very happy with. I was suprised to hear of the problems with them but i guess its something to consider and check into before you go out and buy one.

7. MCGuinness

MCGuinness Junior Member

curtiss plow

I've been using a 7.5 curtis for two seasons on my 2003 GMC 2500HD. The plow is great, I highly recommend the touchpad hand-held control. The control pad is about $150 extra but it's worth every penny. The plow is one unit, the pump and solenoid is located at the base of the plow. Make sure you grease the plug, I broke a contact twice. This plow works great, attaches and detaches pretty easy. It's heavy enough and designed to scrape down to the icy pavement. I hear the new Curtis plows are designed even better. I added pro-wings which makes parking lots a breeze!!

8. MIsingletracker

Thanks for the info provided so far. I've some conflicting reliability reports, which I guess would expect some good and bad. So far this is the brand I'm leaning towards. I still would like to know how much better the new Phase II model is vs. the older ones and more info on their v's.
    Thanks.

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we have two nine footers and overall had pretty good luck with them........they have taken some serious abuse, had to touch up a few hair line weld cracks on the older one, and the new 9 footer we have so far has been great. they really scrape well.

10. fordsrule

fordsrule Member

My Grandfather has an older style 7.5 Curtis plow on a 80's style 1500 Suburban. To my knowledge he has zero problems from the plow. He plows a couple big driveways for my two uncles.
    I'm not sure on the new Curtis plows though.

11. MIsingletracker

Thanks for the replies. I've decided to buy an 8' straight and get a touch pad control. Decided against the V, due to being so much heavier and they are not quick to hook up like the straight. Also the V would be overkill for the plowing I do.

12. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

MIsingletracker.
    Where are you buying it from? I live in waterford and need someone to do some service on my plow,but can't find a dealer down here.

Regards Mike

13. MIsingletracker

I'm getting mine thru the Ford dealer I bought my truck from. He's getting me a bit of a deal on one. If you go to Curtiscabs.com, you can find dealers in your area. I'm north of Grand Rapids, so a long ways from you.

14. The Green Team

The Green Team Junior Member

The only problem with my 7.5 Curtis is that the mount, that holds the plow to the truck rusted and cracked one day so i had to replace that :( $$$$$