1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your thoughts about a survey question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KissMyWake, Dec 21, 2010.

1. KissMyWake

KissMyWake Junior Member
    from indiana

I was recently asked to take an industry survey and a question was presented that i took issue with. I am wondering if anyone else sees any problems with this question. The answers were multiple choice and zero is not an option although, i don't know ,is.

A hypothetical question: How much salt (untreated sodium chloride as a de-icer) would you use per acre in a normal 2-inch (5 centimeter) snow event of average moisture content?

I would appreciate your input . Thank you

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

There are so many possible vairables, what is a "normal" storm anyway??? I'm not completely sure of what they want. BUT to read it, I'd guess since they say as a de-icer, they mean post plowing (I'd never do salt only on a 2" storm). But to answer the question the way I read it, I'd go around 1,000lbs for an acre.

3. me!

me! Member

i saw the same question in i assume the same survey. im not sure who would ever try and melt 2 inches of snow so i answered it as didn't know.

Scary thing is they claim to be the leading organization for snow and ice removal.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I would make a note as to the evasiveness, or lack of criteria within the question. Texture/weight of snow, air temp/ground temp, sunlight/overcast/night time, wind speed - blowing & drifting, to be effective for that hour or to last for 12, was it plowed first & is their any more precipitation to follow? Otherwise, the question would have to be answered with the worst case scenario, which would be unrealistic by most standards of operation.