1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your Setup on Skidsteer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Im at cross roads on size I want Like hear what others running on there skids
    Im down to a 7.6 Pro Tech w/ wings or the 9ft model The factory say I need a 7.6 for size of my Gehl 5240 68hp 6,900 lbs tires. I know they should know whats right. I put a tape on it just seems to be small. My bucket is 70''

Tell your spec.

Weight of the skidsteer
    Horse Power
    Tires or tracks
    Pusher or plow if have wings on the plow
    How wide is the plow or pusher

Thanks for any help you can give

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

factory equipped Cat 252b3's with 10ft Arctic sectional snow plows, about a 120 of them.

3. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I run a bobcat s185
    61hp
    tires(reg bobcat)
    I would say you can run either, I would ask what lot types do you plan to do with it.
    oh ya, I use a snow bucket, no pusher :( I'm pretty sure your machine could handle a 9' as long as you are not planning to use it when the snow is 2' deep, it should push fine with a 9'

4. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Various Skids
    NH 185L - 78hp - 7000lbs on a 9' Kage system and it handles it no problem.
    NH 175L - 60hp - 6200lbs with a 8'-10' blizzard plow, which does pretty good but will struggle with wet snow at the full 10' size.

And because pictures are fun

IMG_4500.jpg

5. Antlerart06

Dr office lots I have 4 together small tight areas in a mile of them is my largest complex few driveways between the offices and the complex

Here is complex areas in red is places I can stack snow
    So there is times I'll be packing snow a good distance to pile it.
    There is places I can windrow to the edge.
    In the past used a 7740 11ft box front with 10 rear blade and 2-3 trucks Vplows
    Like to add my Skid steer to this complex so maybe one truck and tractor can help and other trucks can be somewhere else.

woodwinds.jpg

6. BC Handyman

You got the big pusher covered so I see why your decision tough. Would the 9' be too big in these "tight spaces" if so maybe the 7.5' would be more usefull right now, since the skid should be able to replace 1 truck on that complex site.

7. BC Handyman

do you do the driveways as well or just roads?

8. Antlerart06

Do all inside the green

woodwinds.jpg

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

There is absolutely no reason to buy a 7'6" plow for that skid. Your machine will handle a 9' or 10' plow. Get a Kage or Snow Wolf with quick attach box sides, or some other expandable plow and get stuff done. Only if you have a 2-speed though.

10. Antlerart06

on Dr lots its tight areas its tight for a truck wouldn't be for a skid

7.6 in box move wings out to 45* blade is 8'11'' full straight blade is 9'6
    Wings are manual but If plow works well I could mount some rams on wing so can run wings from inside the cab.
    If I went with 7.6 I could extend wings out farther add another foot to each side. Since they are only a foot each .
    More I think about more thinking 7.6 will work. I don't know. Skid is a different animal if it was a truck I put 9.6 Vplow
    7.6 cost is $2900 and the 9' is 3400 ship to me

11. Antlerart06

its 2 speed I like yellow it matches my Skid
    They don't make expandable plow with a trip edge Fisher doesn't offer it for a skid I don't want a full trip plow
    That kage plow be a pain dropping the sides off to windrow

12. Antlerart06

Snow Wolf and Pro Tech and Meyers Skid plow are the same plows or atleast same design

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  13. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Have you looked into a hydraulic wing style plow? I have a Boss 8' pusher for my S205 (about the same size as your skid), and I thought it was too small of a pusher for my machine. But in some of my lots a 10' would of been too big for some tight areas.

So for this winter I ordered a Metal Pless hydraulic winged pusher. I will be able to run it as an 8' box, or a 13' straight blade, or anywhere inbetween in scoop mode. Set in 11' scoop mode it will move a whole lot more snow then an 8' box, so I'll get the productivity of the larger box, with the size of an 8' box in places I need it. On a job like the one you posted the ability to run it as a 13' angle blade would be very handy also.

And none of the hassle of messing with taking the Kage system on and off.

14. Antlerart06

Well this Pro Tech is kinda like that it has manual wings Like said before I could mount my own rams on the wings
    I'll check that plow you have

15. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  16. Antlerart06

No dealers around me under 500 miles Kind of what I'll do to the Protech

17. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Didn't stop me from buying my arctics, but I understand.. good luck!

18. SnowWolf

SnowWolf Sponsor

Just to clarify, you are correct that the Pro-Tech and Meyer Skid Steer plows are the same. However, SnowWolf is a completely separate company, and different design, in no way connected with either company. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Thanks,

19. Antlerart06

From a picture the mold board looks the same The same trip edge design
    Same yellow paint :laughing:

20. Antlerart06

I think Im going with 7.6 one to be on safe side. We been getting a lot big wet snows
    When I get it If I think Im wasting horse power on 7.6 plow I could add another foot to each wing and add wing rams to it.
    I talk to another guy here and he has a 70hp case and plows with a 10 pusher and He said last winter when we had 18'' storm he had a lot problems trying push the snow and he down sized this year went to a 8ft pusher.
    So after bs with him I made my mind up on 7.6

Thanks to everybody posting there stuff and bs with me Thanks