1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your repairs before this season

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hubjeep, Sep 25, 2004.

1. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

What do you have to fix on your rig before the plow season?

I have to:

-Change a rotted-through power steering line (noticed that upon recent startup).
    -Change all fluids.
    -Remove all carpet and treat drivers floor pan with some sort of rust stop (POR-15).

-John :cool: (1992 Wrangler, 4.0L, 5-speed, Sno-Way 6'8" with DP)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2004
  2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i just have to flush my unit out im pretty well set i might get new tires

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Where does the list begin? lol

-New Engine Installation.... Carbed 305 is being pulled in favor of a TBI 383. This includes full wiring harness and computer swap (ugh!) as well as guage cluster and a thousand other incidentals. I should have the engine itself finished by Tuesday or so (waiting on valve springs at the moment) so then its teardown time! Hopefully everything goes smoothly. The engine itself is based on the magic formula known as the HT383 in the GM Performance Parts Catalog... slightly more compression but using the swirl-port TBI (193 casting) heads and TBI on a Performer TBI Manifold... gotta add the electric fuel pump too...

-Transmission Overdrive from Advance Adapters (Ranger Overdrive).... this one is optional, based on whether or not I have enough time. This will require moving the tranny/tcase/crossmember back 7 1/2" to accomodate the box ahead of the tranny. Naturally, it means the front shaft must be lengthened 7 1/2" and the "front" rear shaft shortened by the same. Shifters and linkages will need major mods.

-Stainless exhaust.... this one is required for the new engine, so I figure since it sees salt all the time stainless will be the way to go. Do it once.

-Paint the Frame and Floors.... already started this (rear section) but have yet to finish. Follow up with an oil spray (after the new engine is done :p)

-Steering column needs repairs or replacement (with a tilt column :p). Minimum repair is signal switch and cancelling cam.

Mods ALREADY DONE THIS SUMMER/FALL:

-New Kelly-Springfield Safari AWR tires (LT255/85R16) with new stainless wheel simulators
    -All New Brakes
    -New 130 litre fuel tank mounted in the rear between the frame rails (instead of saddle tank)... same capacity as dual tank setup, one filler in safer location. Nice new tank, no more leaks. New lines while I was at it. FYI, tank, straps, and mounting crossmembers were 'borrowed' from a fullsize Jimmy/Blazer/Suburban.
    -Powertrax locker installed in 14 bolt rear end. Not liking it for dry weather, hopefully its worthwhile in the snow. Grips like anything though....
    -New U-joint in driveshaft (others were replaced last year already along with a front CV joint rebuild), also new joint in front right axle shaft.
    -remounted and rewired all rear lights
    -added diamond step running boards (to keep crap off the rockers), wheelwell mouldings (fronts), and chrome bezelled marker lights. Front bumper was (finally) installed along with modified front brackets to compensate for the 3" body lift.

As you can see, we've been busy... but are nowhere near done. :eek:

4. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

On my F-150 I need to change the transmission fluid, check the axle fluids and differential fluids, i am getting a new cutting edge on my plow also going to change the hydraulic fluid. Iam getting all new brakes next week. I also have a Jeep Cherokee to set up from scratch, it needs everything aux trans cooler, timbrens, a plow, a bigger alternator, etc. Whatever plow i find for it i want to install it myself if i have the time. Between trucks, plows and everything else. Ive got plenty to do before the snow flies, ill be busy.

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I think I will wait til the snow flys then mount the blade.

6. Richmik

Richmik Junior Member

Hey Hubjeep,
    I have a 91 Wrangler That I need to set up please tell me more about Snoway and plowing with a jeep since I have been using a full size truck up to now.
    Thanks, Rich

7. Boast Enterpris

Boast Enterpris Senior Member

Just have to change the fluid and I am ready to go. Still looking for a back up truck. :waving:

8. '76cj5

'76cj5 Member

Let see,
    _replaced frame with AFW frame.
    _replace more body panels with fiberglass replacements
    _Install hard top
    _Replace wiring to plow lamps. Realy discuraging as I put the plugs together with dielectic grease.
    _Stainless Steel Brake and gas lines
    _Plastic gas tank replacement.
    _Double battery tray

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

How about this.

Buy new truck with plow and sander installed.

10. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Have the inside of the truck detailed, install a set of timbrens, change fluid in plow, oil in truck, and off we go!! :redbounce :drinkup:

11. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Place truck on jack stands, remove front and rear license plates, Insert newer truck between license plates, remove jack stands.

12. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Check diferential fluids, change tranny fluid, replace gaksets on plow pump, cleanup interior, get yellow top battery, replace heater core, and lots of other little stuff that adds up. Just got the injectors cleaned and did tune up, may have the luck not the have to rebuild engine for another year. Need to get a plow frame for other truck. Oh, and get more accounts.

13. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Let me know how that turns out! :drinkup:

14. IA snoman

IA snoman Senior Member
    from Ia

I just blew a head gasket in my plow truck. The real bummer is that I had the other head off last fall fixing a couple of valves to regain compression. Not going to bother to try to fix this piece of sh@t. It is a Chevy 400 SB. I have had two of these and they are the only two motors I have ever torn into! I have a 350 that is going to take place of the old turd. Just bought a used Western 8' pro plow to replace my rediculous 6.5' standard plow. Haven't even hooked it up yet because of motor. Should be a huge improvement.

15. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

In my state the plates go with the truck. May I suggest removing the radiator cap and replacing everything else then replacing the cap. i personally think that would be easer then using a jack and jack stands. also less expensive due to the fact you don't need to have a jack.