1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your record for most breakdowns in one day/night.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ice hockey, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

Just set a new records for most breakdowns in one night. Blew a line on a skid, a hyd cooler on a loader, front dif leaking on a backhoe, blew a main line on the dump and a fitting on the plow of the same truck. And oh yeah another loader caught on fire. We weren't even plowing only hauling snow. What's the most breakdowns you have had in one day/night?
  2. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Junior Member

Too many to count. Some nights things just don't want to work out..
  3. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

Never had a night work out exactly how I wanted it to but this is crazy sauce.
  4. White_Gold11

White_Gold11 Junior Member

Lol mainly minor things. It can seem like alot but small potatoes in the grand scheme of things..
  5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

6. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

Can't tell from the video is the loader on fire or just smoking?
  7. Ice hockey

Ice hockey Member

8. 1olddogtwo

When a quarter of the fleet won't run on the coldest/snowiest week of the polar vortex.....

I define lost as in no revenue.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

It was a wet heavy snow from a ElÑino vortex that came up from the south.
    Ya, just had to look at something and it broke.

"While AccuWeather also called the new weather phenomenon a “polar vortex,” the Weather Service’s Zaleski hesistated in embracing the term, saying he preferred simply to say “it’s extreme arctic air coming south.”
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  10. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Two new employees, 1/2 hour in, lost one trans, and other truck one driveshaft. Otherwise just occasional hose, etc.
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I usually try to drink those nights away..............J\K.

I never counted, but it sounds like my black cloud moved over you for a night.

First plowable storm this year, we lost 2 trannies, one before the night "started". My back blade had some crud in the up\down valve. Arm of the 3 point hitch on 1 tractor broke, wore the blower crooked all night. Broom on the little Deere broke-wouldn't lift. That's what I can remember.

3 years ago I had something major--truck down for the night--break every single time out. Between that and at least 6 times we had wraparound or lake effect kick in at 5-6 AM and cover everything we had done, I was aboot ready to hang it up. Big salt truck broke down every "big" storm.

Someday I want to be like JD Dave.
  12. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

That cat was blazing!!!
  13. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

Why would we even bring up all this bad mojo.
  14. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Do mental breakdowns count...? Cause that'll put me in the winners circle..
  15. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I hope to never catch up to you. I'm feelin' your pain just reading this.

I blew out a cylinder on my plow last winter at 2 am in a customer's driveway. Could not finish his driveway after the breakdown. Customer fired me and hired someone else.
  16. 1olddogtwo

We were just talking about the other a night..... Good times, lessons learned.

17. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

With Oomkes on this one--the first outing this season was rough--of three tractors blew up two PTO shafts at different times--just when we got the first one back and cranking and began to catch up the second one blew up.....wasn't too fun, but it wasn't 47 skid steers
  18. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Last year during a big blizzard, a pickup lost a transmission. One dump truck lost the lift cylinder in its plow. I went over to help out plowing while he waited for our mechanic to get there. I then blew a hydro line on my plow while over there. I didn't have a spare in my truck and also had to sit there and wait. Still doesn't compare to 47ss's!
  19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

What a jerk.
  20. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

You have to have a buddy that can help you out in that situation.