1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your preferred method for snow removal on sidewalks.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gallden, Oct 10, 2011.

1. gallden

gallden Member

Been floating around some ideas for faster removal of snow on walks. An atv with a plow, a snow blower, or a shovel? Any insight is appreciated.
  2. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

depends what you're doing. unloading a ATV with a plow to do a small residential sidewalk is a little excessive. My preferred method is tell people I don't do sidewalks and I dont get out of the truck because I can plow another driveway maybe 2 in the time it takes me to do a sidewalk, which is inevitably less money than a driveway.
  3. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

If you have an zero turn mowers check out www.mibarproducts.com themake a great plow. Also a zero turn works great and will push way more snow than you would ever think. You do not have to put chains on your zero turn. i think that is a crazy idea. I am a dealer so if you need one call me or email me for price. Thanks, Chad 513-678-1597 chad@obersons.com
  4. gallden

gallden Member

Its a commercial building with loads of sidewalks. So in the view of some of you a zero turn is more effective than a 4 wheeler?
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I like my ATV for doing sidewalks. It tows a drop spreader as well. Plow snow and apply deicer in one pass.

I don't have any experience with zero turn mowers, sorry.
  6. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

Just think about it. A zero turn will go were you want it to go and make perfect turns. I am telling you we have around 100 guys on sidewalks at Oberson's and it is a large part of our business. 4 wheelers works great for long stright runs but not turns. The biggest thing that will blow you away is the fact that a zero turn can push 3" like nothing. Now if you dont own a zero turn and you own a 4 wheeler I understand and I sell mibar plows for both ATVs and Z-mowers and you would like your Z mower better. Remember your neighbor who most likey said come check out my new riding lawn mower looked nice and may have been nice but do to the turning issue you could cut 4x as much grass as he could with your 10 year old zero turn it is the same deal with snow. You can also get nice cabs with windshield wipers for most z mowers. My feeling for safety is that the cab is not always the best thing.
  7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Snow blower! A 4 wheeler works if there is not much snow and if its light, but not so much if its wet and heavy!
  8. iceman1

iceman1 Senior Member

You say commercial property I assume that if you ever have 3" of snow or more on walks you are fired!! so a snow blowers is of no use. If this is a good customer you should be doing the walks every 1" at most. If I had 1" of snow on 90% of my accounts I would be fired (on the walks).
  9. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Agree with you Mr Oberson
  10. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

We used a ZTR with a plow last year, it did work good up to a point. Once the snow gets deep or it's heavy and wet it becomes useless. Around here the city plows the crap from the roads up onto the sidewalks next to the roads and that stuff goes nowhere with the ZTR plow. Stuff on the mower freezes up, the mower needs to be kept running constantly other wise the hydraulic fluid gets gummy and the mower doesn't respond well. Also, your average sidewalk is pretty uneven and full of expansion joints, if your going full speed and you catch the edge of the ZTR plow on an expansion joint or some other obstacle it doesn't matter how good the plows trip is it still just about knocks your teeth out or sends you flying off the front of the mower (cause snow and ice gets into the seatbelt and makes it useless).

In the end i would use it again for small storms but i'm getting a 2 stage blower to deal with the things the ztr just can't. Would i buy it again? No, it was a waste of money.
  11. M.McDaniel

M.McDaniel Member

Get a Grasshopper outfitted with the cab, heater, blower, counter weight and chains. They are the most efficient and economical sidewalk machine available.
  12. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

about how deep where the snow storms you used the ztr plow on and where they wet or dry snow storms? also what size plow did you use, was it strictly on sidewalks? and was it the mibar plow or another brand?
  13. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

The sidewalk crew had it out in every storm we had to plow so anything from our trigger depth all the way up to a foot (plowing with the storm probably about 4" per pass). Both wet and dry stuff, worked good on dry snow. Just did sidewalks with it and a 3 car parking area behind a house that the trucks couldn't get into. It wasn't a mibar so I make no comment as the the general durability of the plow, the blade design is similar however.
  14. tebletlawns

tebletlawns Member

What kind/size of mower did they use
  15. Precedence

Precedence Senior Member

60" Exmark Lazer Z

ROAD-SNAKES Member

Any pictures of these ZRT'S with the plows on ??

Sidewalk plow

Residential, we use snow blower or throwers
    Commercial, Bombardier SW48, on storm 6'' or more
  18. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

We use F900 series jd tractors with blower and brooms. The brooms are fast and clean right down to the pavement. Best way to go IMO.
  19. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

It all depends on the type of properties and accounts you have. We are all commercial and do everything from medical facilities, to banks, to manufacturing plants that operate 24/7.

Quads are great for long city walks. However, they're not ideal for sidewalks right up against buildings. We sometimes can't get past cars who park too far over curbs. Snow blowers sometimes work well for that, if you're not afraid of throwing snow over the cars and possibly risking damage. Sometimes you just can't beat the shovel.

My favorite method is a UTV with a power broom and liquid sprayer in the bed. You can clear up to 6" well (depending on the broom), get the surface bare, and spray or drop salt onto a bare surface in a single pass.
  20. gbtl

gbtl Member

Today I just bought a 64 Gravely L8 for dirt cheap. I'm going to fix it up and use it as my backup for sidewalks. My main unit is an 05 Kubota with a blower/blade/boxblade. I like the Gravely cause they are beastly and fit in tight spots.