1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your "Other" Job

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Wolfies L&L, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Wolfies L&L

Wolfies L&L Member

How many guys plow and salt part time in addition to working your "other" full-time or part-time job? How lenient is your supervisor about letting you leave work early when it snows, or coming in later after you are done with your accounts?

Jason

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

High School is my other job. Not lenient at all as far as missing time, i have managed to plow and have perfect attnedence throughout my high school years. Never even been late. If its a big storm schools are closed so its never been a problem. Also alot of storms occur duing weekends/vacation weeks.

3. vanwhyjr

vanwhyjr Senior Member

I'm a prototype machinist for the Dept of Defence. They don't say much.Ya know Gov't workers. :cool: I get quite a lot of time off so i'm not losing anything. The only thing that sucks is when the storm comes on one of my OT days. That cuts into my extra funds a little.

4. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

heavy equipment mechanic @ a mining company, INCO Ltd.
    Plow around my work schedual. Don't have alot of places I do so it all works out.

5. FireParm84

FireParm84 Junior Member

taking off

Im a full time firefighter-paramedic so I just swap a shift with someone else at my station. Take off 1 day and Im off for 5!!

6. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I work for a Graphic Design firm designing Annual Reports, logos, collateral, and websites. I enjoy the creative part of the job, but sitting behind a computer all day long drives me up a wall. :dizzy:

I end up spending my down time at work here on plowsite.com!

7. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I'm a Corrections Officer, the Sheriff doesn't like us to leave early so, I plow around my schedule. Breck :gunsfiring:

8. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

IT Manager for a sofware company for me.
    Most of the time I plow before I get into the office at 8:30am.
    Boss hasnt had an issue with it yet.

MAC

9. plowman2

plowman2 Member

Police Officer

Fulltime Police Officer, We are able to switch shifts and I only work seven midnights a month.

10. bolensdriver

bolensdriver Senior Member

I'm a vocalist... and my own boss pretty much. So, I got a flexible schedule lol.

11. harley hauler

harley hauler Senior Member

Construction Superintendent for a large general contractor, all commercial work payup

12. home rescue

home rescue Member
    from wv

Just like fireparm84 I am a fulltime firefighter and work at swapping time with another guy just like I did last nite to plow my lots, getting maxed out though and might have to start thinking about putting on another truck.

13. Go Pats

Go Pats Junior Member

Like many other posters, I'm a Fire Fighter. So far this year all these small storms have been on my nights off and I havent used any swaps or vacation days. It looks like we have a nice noreaster coming Sunday so my good timming be over.

14. Mowman62531

Mowman62531 Member

I am a farmer, so the snow plowing fits in for me perfectly! All we are doing right now is hauling grain, and getting equipment ready for spring. Plowing snow breaks up the down time.

15. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Sales rep for a communications company. Sell telecommunication & data equipment. Been doing it way too long hence the reason for getting into business for myself with lawn maintenance and plowing this past year. Still not enough business built up to go full time but hope to within the next couple years. In the meantime, I'm considering starting real estate school next month as that is something I've always wanted to do.

Buck

16. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'm in the Plumber's Union and traditionally am laid off more frequently during the winter, so it's a great fill in while collecting unenjoyment.

While I am working full time, sometimes I'll be up all night plowing so people can get out in the morning, going to work and sometimes even plowing more after work. That makes for one tired plow boy but you have to do what you have to do. If it's a really big, long duration storm, I blow off a day at work which I can get away with if I don't do it too frequently. So far, it has worked out. But, no matter what, my customers will get taken care of as promised. I won't take on more than I know I can provide good service to.

17. Firebrands

Firebrands Junior Member

I too am a professional Firefighter. I have a guy I work with who plows for me when I am at work. He works a different shift so it has worked out pretty well. The last few times he has been talking about getting his own plow setup, which would be a bummer because he is so reliable and competent.

18. CyberJay

CyberJay Junior Member

I run a bicycle shop and my boss and I both sub for his brother who owns a medium to large size landscape company. My boss good about letting me plow? :D He's the one who conviced me to buy my first plow truck.. In fact he found it on ebay and pointed me to it.

-Jay

19. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

Mechanical foreman for the CN railroad, and I will not take off work to plow. As most part time plowers, I do it for fun-spare cash-etc. I only plow for 3 places, all of which understand my work schedule and are very willing to wait for me. I work 3pm to 11pm so I either plow after work or early in the AM.

20. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

This is my only job in the winter. Im a landscape contractor in warm seasons.