1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinions on this used Meyer V, please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by battags, Aug 16, 2007.

1. battags

battags Member

I found a used Meyer 8.5 V plow, approximately 3 years old and in great condition. The seller is asking $2400.00 for the complete set up.

I know next to nothing about the unit and was unable to find any worthy info here through a search. It is the older style unit with the full trip moldboard.

Any input is greatly apprectated!

Brian

2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would run very far away. The Meyer V plow just takes all the problems of a meyer plow and doubles them. You can find a used fisher or western V plow for the same money and have no problems.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I wouldnt buy that plow.... I have one and im buying a different blade this season.

4. battags

battags Member

Why? What problems have you had? Give me some 'pros' and 'cons' to help me weigh my decision, please.

5. battags

battags Member

In all of my time plowing, I have probably seen less than 5 Fisher plows in this area. Western's are more common but Meyer is by far the most widely used. I think Boss's are even more common than Western in N.E. Ohio.

Brian

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Boss plows in my area are one of the most used plows. A few people use meyers and westerns and fishers. Out of all the meyer plows I see I have yet to see a meyer vee plow.:dizzy: Can someone post a pic of one.

7. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

well the plow came with my truck when I bought it new. It only took about a month of plowing and things were breaking on it. You name it and its probably been replaced on it. Its not so much that the blade sucks its the V66 pump that is a piece of trash. If you buy that blade buy an extra pump, you will need it. The first year I had it I had it getting warranty work done probably 5 times and the second year only a couple times, then last year I fixed it once myself because the dealer wouldnt return my calls. This year im getting Boss V's or Blizzard 810s. No more meyers problems

8. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I beleeve there was some sort of recall on the original Meyer Vs. Might not have extended to purchasers but at some point retailers were holding them to be sent back to Meyer.

The new Meyer V by the way is a direct decendent of the Diamond V. This was the original movable V plow designed and manufactured by former Fisher employees.

9. battags

battags Member

Thanks for the comments guys. Keep them coming!

Brian

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't recommend one either.We had 2 of these plows at the same time a few years back. Got both of them slightly used and dirt cheap (I found out why after we used them) One was mounted on a '95 F250 and the other was on a '97 K2500. We couldn't keep either one operating throughout an entire storm and I spent countless hours trying to modify and upgrade them to hold up before I finally got smart and ditched them both. They'd either tear at the center pin,wear out the pivot pin hole at the front of the A-frame or the valve's/coils on the pump would stick and fail to work. Also went through waaaay too many touch pad controllers at $400 a pop before I switched them both over to toggle switches. Neither of the plows were what I'd call abused either. Anyone ever wonder why you never see any of these things around? Because they don't survive!

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Nobody stocks parts for them.

12. battags

battags Member

Ok, Anybody with any positive experiences? At this rate, does anybody even know anybody with any positive experiences?

Brian

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I hate to say it but you may not find any..like IGBG mentioned already, you'd be much further ahead to spend $2400 on a good used Western or Boss of you want a V plow..

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

well I can say I plowed the valentines day storm for 57 hours in 3 days and didnt have any problems.

15. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the meyer v had alot of problems .the only way i would buy a meyer v is if it was the new
    redesigned model

JR