1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinions on spacers.

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks' started by MC94XR7, Dec 8, 2015.

1. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

I won't be doing any of my own suspension work because I hate compressing springs. I see lots of people are running bilstiens. what are your opinions on running a spacer between the stock strut and the strut tower? What is also less time consuming? how well will spacers work compared to new bilstien 5100s?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Another question asked in sarcasm.

3. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

No sir. If it was, I would have put the popcorn eating guy. I take it that this may be a sensitive topic too?:(

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Not a sensitive topic, but who it's coming from. Why should anyone take you seriously now?

5. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have spacers on top of my 2500 springs on a 1500 Dodge, No problems.

6. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

What'd I miss?

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Thread got deleted.....He was "trying" to be funny. But hit a spot with a few pple.

8. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Mannnnnnn, pm me the details

9. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

i run 3 inch spacers on top of the stok springs on this 2011 tundra,i ran 2 inch spacers on my 2007 tundra,plowed with both had no problems

10. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Thanks guys. my main concern with spacers is I was wondering if the suspension will bottom out as far as spring travel running out of room. So that will raise the front. how does one raise the back?

11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

FWIW, I have 2½ coil spacers on my F350 carrying a 11-4, 1000lbs vee plow, no problems.

It has no effect on spring travel.

12. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Buddy of mine ran spacers on one truck for one snow on a 3/4 ton Chevy. They bent. They were the cheap ones.

Not a Toyota I know, but just food for though. I would just get the Bilsteins. You can't go wrong with them.

By the way, the Toyota page had me about crying I was laughing so hard. Wish I could have put my $.02 in, but I was a little late and she got locked up.

14. MC94XR7

MC94XR7 Senior Member
    from GTA

Thanks fr the advice

:laughing:oh man... that was bad. :dizzy: I saw the ads on the bottom of the page so I thought it was the absolute bottom. then when I took the guys advice to scroll down, I wanted to shoot myself lol

15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

At least you came clean and admitted the source of the problem :laughing:

16. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

It's called Magoo syndrome
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8GTHXTEvIc

17. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

There are potentially two kinds of spacers;
    1) goes between the spring and the end cap,
    2) goes between the end cap and the vehicle's frame.

The #2 type is liable to cause the shock absorber to bottom out before the suspension. If that happens, you could break your shock. With a coil-over suspension, that means you'll be looking for a flatbed tow truck. When you're carrying a plow, you are MUCH more likely to bottom something out than under normal circumstances.

The #1 type is much safer, but you still need to be aware of the range of the spring itself. Basically, you need to look at the length of the spring when it is *fully* compressed, and compare that to the length of the shock when it also is fully compressed. If they are equal, you cannot add a spacer. If the minimum spring length is shorter than the minimum shock absorber length, then you can add a spacer that is potentially *just less* than the difference.

I would *strongly* suggest an adjustable 5100. They've already done the measurements for you, and being adjustable, you can set it to a slightly "higher" position, say in the winter when you'll be carrying a plow, and set it back to normal during warmer weather.

18. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

By dropping the suspension bump stops on vehicle there should be no problem with compressing a shock to the point it breaks.