1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on this dump truck

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by RoesLandscaping, Jan 17, 2012.

1. RoesLandscaping

RoesLandscaping Junior Member

Hey guys, going to look at this truck tomorrow. Its a rust bucket, but the guy claims the frame is fiine, which is all im worried about, what should i look for?
    its a 93 or 94 ford f350 4x4 7.3 non-turbo diesel motor. It comes with the sander but not the plow. it has 116000 miles on it for 2000 bucks. is it worth it? im going to sell the spreader if i buy it and just put my reese hitch spreader on it since i dont do much plowing here in Tennessee.

dump.jpg

2. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

i like the piece myself Thumbs Up it is a Ford

3. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Looks like a good deal to me. As long as the frame really is fine. If the spreader works, that's probably worth 3/4 of the price right there.

4. RoesLandscaping

what about brake lines?are they expensive to replace? just wish it had a plow on it, but guess thats whay my chevy is for lol

5. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I don't know about Fords, but I'm sure the brake lines are rusty. They're easy enough to replace. Almost worth it just do them all in one shot. Never fails, you'll replace one just to find the next weakest link, then have to go through the whole deal again, bleeding and whatnot. Been there in all three of my trucks. Not bad to do, and the line is cheap enough. Should be able to find a plow for that thing, no problem. F250/350 is a pretty common plow rig.

6. M.S.P.M.

M.S.P.M. Senior Member

brake lines are easy and pretty cheap to replace.

7. RoesLandscaping

good deal!thanks for the input. Im going tomorrow, if i get it, i will start a new thread for it.

8. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

take that 2,000 dollars and use it as a down payment on a 10,000 truck. That thing is a pile of shet i wouldnt touch with a million mile pole.

your reply- i dont have the money or work to support a 400 dollar a month payment.

me- yeah well that pile of crap is going to cost you at LEAST 400 a month in repairs from now to the point you cut your loses with it. I GUARANTEE YOU THAT

your reply- but but but thats alot of moeny

me- well do you need a truck or want a truck? because a guy that NEEDS a truck has work for it and a guy that WANTS a truck is hoping to find work for it.

If you NEED a truck then you need it running and working, that truck will always let you down and never be trusty. Get a newer truck and you will be out making money instead of laying under it.

9. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

Look forward to seeing it. Look it over real good. Seems hard to beat at that price though!

10. RoesLandscaping

i understand where your coming from, because i had a dodge and felt the same way. i was putting more money in it than i paid for it. thing is i just bought a 19,000 dollar chevy 2500. Thats why i want something a little cheaper to use as a work truck. I used to restore cars and trucks and can look through the pile of sheit . for a 7.3 with only 116000 miles, with the spreader, and dump bed, i think its worth it. i wont be plowing much with it, nor pulling with it every day. it will only go out about once a week for mulching jobs, or cleanups.

11. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

I wouldn't do that. You got a slow month, the truck sits, the bank still wants your $400. I doubt you'll spend $400 a month in repairs anyway, but get a cheap truck, make the payments to yourself, then sooner or later, you'll have enough to go pay cash for a $10K truck. (Maybe later if you gotta do some big repairs to the cheap one, but hey, it's paid for).
    Trust me, I faced the same dilemna. Do I fix my old falling-apart plow truck, or buy a newer one with a loan. Well, guess what. Was able to fix the truck for around $200 (still need to do the front end for around $350), so we'll be under $700. We got no snow, which means low cash flow, which means a truck payment would have hurt.
    Put that $400 a month in savings, and every month something doesn't break - bonus!

12. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

u could part it out and double ur money so u cant lose on it check the frame around the spring hanger and cross members

13. newhere

from Fenton

14. RoesLandscaping

well, the spreader has only been used for one plow season, i figured i could at least get 1500 for it, plus it still has the plow mount on it, just not the blade

15. cwby_ram

cwby_ram Senior Member

16. RoesLandscaping

17. thebluemule

thebluemule Junior Member
    from erie pa

I say buy it! NA IDI 7.3 arent the biggest powerhouses but they sure are reliable. at least the 8 we had were. I'd put new doors, fenders, and cab corners on it, paint up the wheels and make a flatbed. But it all depends on how far you want to take it. Auto or manual?

18. weekendwrench

weekendwrench Senior Member

$2000 HHAHAHAHAHA :laughing: I bet it ends up being closer to $3500 or 4K after parts. Check the Ball joints and U joints in the front end. I just rebuilt a Dana 60 last fall for my 97 probably had over $500 in parts. If it is that rusty probably needs brakes and rotors, more $$$$ yet. Don’t forget your tires are probably dry rotted and you need 6 e-rated tires, that’s $1000 bucks. And we haven’t even gotten to the motor or Trans yet. You might be looking closer to 5K. Hell you’re in Tennessee man!! There are is a ton of old NOT rusty trucks down there. Us rust belt guys’ drive down there to buy trucks when ours rot away and u want to buy one of our rejects. :mechanic:

19. newhere

from Fenton

i bet the trans goes within 200 miles. thats at least 2,500 bucks gone like yesterday. That truck will cost you 10 grand in 10 months.

20. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

If it were me I wouldnt buy it. When my trucks run they need to run, I looked at buying an older one and I ended up at the dealership I couldnt risk the down time and losses in repairs. My trucks run on average 19hrs straight each snow storm I dont think older trucks can really keep up with them (unless they were refurbs). I think the big question is do you know how to do most of the potential work involved your self? How often and how hard are you going to use it?