1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion on my plow setup please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RCIPlow, Nov 19, 2001.

1. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Hello All,
    Here's to a profitable sason. Located here in South Jersey, Just got all my equipment lined up for the season, was just curious what you all thought.
    Replaced my 87 Suburban 4wd with a 90 F250, 460cu in 5 speed manual 2wd ext. cab, long bed. Replacing "some" of my classic shovels with a Polaris 400 explorer Automatic 4wd with either 48" or 54"plow. 2 earthway walk behind spreaders, 55gallon hitch mounted spreader for lot, and some shiny new shovelsf or the guys. Good luck to all for a profitable season.
    Regards
    Tim McGonigal
    RCI
    Atco, NJ

2. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Oh, sorry have a Westrn 7' 6" plow for the F250
    Regards
    Tim

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I think your gonna need a bigger plow. You 'll have trouble covering your wheelbase in a turn. If you can, you might want to look at an 8 or 8.6 .

Okay Rob your turn:p .

Last edited: Nov 19, 2001
  4. pcs

pcs Senior Member

Did you say that truck is a 2wd?

5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I don't even want to hear why you went from a Chevy to a ford :(

I agree, You will need a bigger plow for that extended cab especially if its an 8' bed.

Did I read that its a 2 wd are you crazy? I hope you don't plow any grades or steep driveways.

:confused: :confused:

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Just wondering - that f250 is an ext cab. Would an 8' be too heavy? Put lots of ballast over the rear wheels if you're doing any hills.

7. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Now that I think about it, JCurtis is correct that the SUB is probably the better choice for plowing (4x4) than a 2wd truck (even if it is a ford). Curious as to why you sold the sub? Too old? Not good for your offseason business?

8. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

JD Plower, It takes all kinds to make the world go round....

Some people love chevys, some people love fords... heck some people even love dodges.

But why someone would sell a Chevy to buy a Ford is totally incomprehensible to me.

Hey just kidding , guys can buy fords if they want, the last good one I drove was a 64 Ford Galaxie XL500.

I just love seeing chevys pulling fords out of problems or after they break down

9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Sold Chevy, went to "F-word".......

..........Well, you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. ;)

With regard to plowing with a 2wd truck, I plow with a 2wd GMC (1-ton dually) but stick to "flatland" lots - there's stuff a 4x4 can do that I know I can't. I do have my "Warn M12000 insurance policy" bolted to the deck - it's saved me a few times. Is the bulk of your snow work residential or commercial? If you're doing open, fairly flat lots the 2wd should work OK for you - just know your limits!

Agreed on a bigger plow (at least 8') being a better match for that l-o-n-g truck.

JD - I was a little slow pickin' up the ball on this post, but I DID take my turn! :p

JCurtis - whaddaya mean, "Did I read that its a 2wd are you crazy?" MINE'S a 2wd and I ain't crazy........................... well, maybe just a little bit................. :D

10. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

All I can say is save the money you make plowing, you will need for front end repairs. That 250 is not designed for plowing at all. And I hope that your biggest snow fall is not over 2", more than that and that pig of truck wont move 4' with out being stuck.
    I suugest you hook up with the Toronto duo, and just use snow blowers.
    Dino

11. RCIPlow

RCIPlow Member

Well.
    While I appreciate everyones opinions, I could have easily just have said that I was using a bicycle and a wagon judging from some of you chevy die hards...lol
    I was thinking about moving upto an 8'6" blade but not for this season. As far as 2wd, here in South Jersey, the only hills we have are piles of trash in the landfills!!! All my work is flat, church and school lots, couple of small commercials and some long private drives. The reason to get rid of suburban was lack of flexability with loading and unloading supplies, ie calcium, salt, shovels. Plus the fact that its a rust bucket...good ol' chevy. I love chevys but around here they are hard to come by clean and intact. Curious, no one mentioned the 4wd quad, or the blade selection for it, or the 55 gallon spreader compared to a fit in bed unit.
    Heres hoping for lots of snow.
    Regards,
    Tim
    RCI
    Atco, NJ

12. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Seriously of you plan on plowing with that truck, first you will be very hard pressed to find a plow for a 2 wd 1990 f-250. If you do find one, the front end will grenade before the season is over, wouldnt be suprised if it did so after the first storm. You will really need to install some aftermarket suspension aids. Anything that you can do to keep those coils from moving when the plow is raised.

F-350 C&C have a very hard time coping with a plow in front, never mind a truck with suspension parts 1/2 that size.
    You will need more than ballast.

Either a locker or chains, a 2wd with an open diff will get stuck on a wet banana peel.