1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion/advice please

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow Nuts, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

We have an oppotunity to pick up 30-60 new residentials and I have a few questions/concerns. What size crew and what equipment would you use to cover it???
    We are thinking 4-5 man crew-- 2-3 24" blowers and 1 small plow truck--probably an F150 we have.

Also...in your opinion ( those more experienced at this level of residentials than we are) how long would it take a 4-5 man crew--2-3 blowers and 2 shovelers---to complete say 50 residentials of average size--120 ft of sidewalks and 50x10ft of driveway.

We mostly due commercial lots and half a dozen large residentials with 200ft of sidewalks and 400-2000 sq ft driveways.

We want to make sure we are running enough crew and equipment to cover this level of residentials. Only a handfull of the driveways can be plowed--rest must be cleared by blower/shoveler.

Any opinions/advice is greatly appreciated :)

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is this a subdivision or individual homes? If this was just homes 2 trucks.Why can't they be plowed?

3. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

all homes are within 2 square miles over 3 towns--but you could consider it a VERY large subdivision as there is no open space between the little towns. Just street and houses after street and houses. The reason they can not be plowed is there are cars in the driveway--crappy little towns forbid street parking all year round and hand out pakring tickets if you do not notify them your car is on the street overnight. Absolutely no street pakring during snow events so I would imagine it would eat up more time trying to get the customers to move their cars momentarily to plow 1 pass--but nowhere to put the snow. 95% of the driveways lead straight to the garage door bushes on either sides of the driveways.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What is the avg snow fall you get there. Some guys use leaf blowers on the driveways if there not that dept.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a pain in the ass and i woulden't do it myself. I try not to get out of the truck while plowing resi's, I fly in with the truck get as close to the garage doors as i can, plow and leave.

6. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

50-60" on average. The last 2 winters we averaged about 6-12" per storm with 7 events total

7. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

That would be optimum and I am trying to orchestrate it that way--meaning have the crew do the bull work while my partner and I are in the trucks with the larger properties and commercial lots.

I am trying to get a better idea of what kind of time/manpower would be involved so that if we take it on we won't get overwhelmed.

I am thinking 50 resi's, 4-5 guys, 2-3 blowers and with all the resi's being within 20 blocks of each other it will be every bit of 15-20 hours

8. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

It all depends on the storm how long it will all take, i know with me we do 75 driveways with 2 trucks, On a small 5 inch or under storm we can bang them all out in 4-5 hours, Once the snow gets above 8 inches it really starts to add up and start taking more time. some of the bigger storms we had this past year where we had 15+ inches it took us 15+ hours to get them done.

I cant even imagine having to snow blow all of them, If you have the patience to snow blow 50 driveways your a better man then i am.

9. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

I have 70 residential driveways with walkways that must be done by hand every time, I try to have 6 guys but can do it with 5. Most my drives ABOUT 20x35 with 25' walks it takes my guys 3-5 hrs depending on amount of snow & if I got 5 or 6 guys. This is all with shovel due to strata rules(no machines unless over 12") If you only got a 1-5 inches it will be quicker by hand then with a blower, quicker due to the loading/unloading I'd try to have 2 crews with back ups for the no shows. My properties in about a 3 mile radius. Yes if you have light/dry snow, leaf blowers work good.