1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your most memorable plowing event?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by drivewaydoctor, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Good, bad or ugly, what is your most memorable plowing event over the years.

For me, I had only been plowing as a company driver a short time. The company sent me to a new school (I did high schools) I had never done before. There was a good 5" on the lot. I open my map (we got property maps so we'd know what was under the snow) and see where all the islands, curbs and speed bumps are... Ok the coast is clear, I drop my blade and start to boogie down the laneway. THUMP! I drove off the lot into a ditch that was about 7 feet deep. The truck was positioned almost vertically. I had to wait for the company to send a loader over to lift me out of the ditch. That was a long 2 hour wait. lol

After they got me out we could see the lot was shaped funny (different than map displayed). With so much snow there was no way I could have known the ditch was there. The shop had a good laugh about it. The location I worked for had about 60 trucks so they seen all kinds of crap happen with new guys like me. This was about 11-12 years ago.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

To many stories to tell. Maybe I should write a book. I plowed with junk that had no heat or wipers or brakes to 7 feet of snow in a week.
  3. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

First year we ever plowed, we signed up way to much work. We had 4 trucks running, we started every night at 12:00 and would not wrap up til 3-4:00pm. We did commercials till 8:00am, condos till noon or one then wrap up with residential. Mid december we got the storm of the year for our area. We got 18" of snow it was snowing so hard (luckly it was at night) you could not see in front of you.

We did a 400 unit condo complex and there was soooo much snow you could barley move in that place. You could not do any back blading period. It took us 8 hours to clear the condos when it should have taken 3.5 hours. People would come out yelling at us bitching that they could not get out of there driveway. We would go plow them out then they would go get stuck pulling out on to the main road.(main roads were not cleared for 20 hours)
  4. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Ive done the no heat or wipers thing MANY time. You do what you got to do
  5. Tediesel

Tediesel Member

Oh the most fun had to be either 2 or 3 years back. 4500 miles on my new Chevy one ton and 40 minutes into the Valentines day storm the oil pump blew out. Had a guy driving my other nice newer truck working like a dog. I had to get a ride home and get the old 93 Cummins Dodge out. It was sold to a guy in MO at the time but he didn't come pick it up yet. Shhhhh don't tell. Hook up the plow, go to the gas station where the chevy blew up. Shovel the salt (2.5-3) ton from the full v-box into the bed of my 05 250 ford the other guy was driving for me. He loved that, had to shovel it all into a fisher speedcaster 2 600 lbs at a time. Wait for the tow truck to show up and hoist my v-box from the 1-ton into my dodge ($200 he charged for 2 minutes work). Go home and load the v-box with salt and spend the next 41.5 hours driving old smokey in robot mode. Brian-guy driving the ford for me that year only made it 24 hours before he started dozing off at the wheel. I watched him come within inches of wiping out a patron of the grocery I take care of (twice). I said go home and sleep, come back when you can stay awake. I didn't see him for a week. I may have "bumped" into the cart return at the same time but we'll keep that on the down low too. Worst part was doing the store managers personal driveway when I was done with everything else while still in robot mode, ripped off the moulding, mudflap, and put a big dent in the dodge that was already sold. That was fun to explain. I didn't explain till I picked him up at the airport. He didn't care, said he was putting a flatbed on it.:salute:
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

That would go under the "Fiction Story telling" ...right GV! lol :waving:
  7. Those were great stories guys!

Keep them coming. We gotta sit back and laugh about this stuff sometimes!
  8. lordstanley

lordstanley Member

One of the places we pile snow while plowing is between a sidewalk, train tracks and crossing gate. One of our guys was pushing snow into the pile when his back tires got wedged between the tracks. You guessed it just then the crossing guard starting coming down and a train was coming right at him.

Luckily one of our other trucks was a block away and the stuck driver jumped out with a chain in hand waiving it in the air. Other truck pulled up threw rope around the plow and pulled him out with less than 10 seconds till we would have been down a truck.

They say the best was the look on the engineers face as he tryed to slow down just watching what looked like the inevitable.
  9. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

I was running the skid loader at a Menards store, cleaning around islands, curbs and the lumber yard.

I get a call on the two way from Jeff in the NH TM168 (big freaking tractor with an FEL and a 15' pusher box.) He asked if I had a chain and if I could boogy to the north end.

He was moving snow from the lot and dumping it over the edge into a drainage pond. He had the pusher box chained on and went over the edge, only to stop just in time to be teeter-tottering on the front axel of his tractor. Rear wheels 4' in the air over the lot, and the FEL about 10' over the pond and about to tip in dragging the tractor with it.

With some creative chaining and steady pulling I was able to anchor the rear so he could get the traction to back out.
  10. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

Think of the fun if he didn't get it off the track and he was chained to the tow vehicle. :eek:

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

heres mine it involves a plow truck, a train some cops and a snowmobile.

my brother in law was a steel guy that fell thru a floor, he got hurt he got paid and so on. so he buys a nice 3/4 ford with a fisher. remember hes broken up. so along comes winter he buys a sled. im thinkin wow thats the last thing id buy with a bad back so i never rode with him.

well its xmas eve now and i get a callabout 5 sayin hes out ridin and they havent seen him, i dont know where he is so what can i do. around 6 i get another call hes been stuck 1/2 the day can i help remember its xmas eve, so i load my sled and tools and drive thru this nice storm. i get there at 8pm.

well i show up cops everywhere no brother in law, i get my sled drive down the tracks about a mile and there he is.

he was ridin his sled on the side of the tracks, went down a 30' embankment and buried it. then he walked out and got his truck, drove his truck there and the only reason the truck was still there was because the plow frame caught the rail.

they stopped the trains and said theyd have a crane here at 7 am. so i asked him how much that recovery would cost? lol he didnt have a clue, so i told him ill get him out,
    its snowin like crazy by the way. it took a couple hours to comealong him out using truck power and comealong. i hooked it to the rail lol. he just kept sayin its not gonna work so i kept at it till he was out. he still had to drive out over a trestle. that was scary.

so it comes time to get his sled thats hopelessly stuck down there. remember hes useless to me. so i dig out the front and move the sled track to snow and at this time im beat, so i gas it and take right off and im out fast,

i figured thats the way it would go. he says you could of drove it out the whole time lol yup unbeleivable . it was now around 4am and he was out. that was a hell of a xmas morning. i just got home to my girls daddy santa came santa came. my eyes were on fire and i was tired and my girls were excited lol. i dont take calls from him on xmas anymore lol
  12. Dlongerman

Dlongerman Senior Member
    from IL

LOL hahaha wow!~ he is stupid!

13. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

Back in 1990 I was plowing with a 544 John Deere loader in Guelph On. It was our second event of the season and I had finished up my route and was asked to finish up another guys route because the grader was called out for the city. No problem. I get to Melran mall, just after it was built that fall, to plow the lot. It was about the third pass and all of a sudden I wake up to what seemed like clouds all around me. I take a moment to focus and realize my head hurts, my shins hurt, there is blood on my right knuckles....WHOA what happened? I ask myself.

I don't know how long I was knocked out for or how long I sat there trying to figure out what had happened but I finally realize I'm in the loader still in forward with a busted windshield. I back the loader up (no plow or box just a bucket on it) to see what I had done or what went wrong. I had hit a catch basin lid and pushed it about 3 inches through the asphalt.

The supervisor comes around shortly thereafter and tells me to go very slowly because they didn't have enough time to finish the top coat of asphalt and all the manholes and catch basins were raised to grade. He said they were all marked out but the grader operator had knocked the stakes down the first time out. I said "Yeah. I found one." and pointed to the windshield as the dust in the cab from 1986 was still settling around me.

I had done the old three point landing against the window and steel dash. I still have a scar on my left shin from that night. It took me 4-5 hours to finish that lot and I never went back there for the rest of the season. The next season and 8 after that it only took me 1.5 hours to do. The only damage to the machine was a broken king pin for the side dump.

Man those 544s circa 1986 were bullet proof. We put over 32 000 hours before we replaced it. I do have a few stories just in that machine but this one is my most memorable.
  14. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Jan 6th -8th 3 days straight with 12 hours sleep . It was well worth it .

It amazes me how friendly people become when a disaster comes about . If you had a blade or blower , you were wanted.

Everytime I went down a street , people flagged me down with 20's , 50's and Franklins. Dropped the front driveshaft on the last day . I needed the sleep I guess.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  15. Turbodiesel

I had hit a catch basin lid and pushed it about 3 inches through the asphalt.

I had hit a catch basin lid and pushed it about 3 inches through the asphalt.

That'll do it every time .That s a classic... lmao
  16. Turbodiesel

Heres where I was. Reallt official numbers were 33" with 60'' drifts

17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

kinda like grandview but I think I have enough for three books and two movies.

Anyway we had a contract with a large funeral home in Drexel Hill, PA. And part of this contract was that we would provide a truck and plow for this livery service that they provided to other undertakers. In short, we would plow our way to wherever they had to go, so they could pick up bodies when people died at home etc. or to a grave site. Along comes the blizzard of 1966 Christmas eve and low and behold we need your services. So we had to go pick up the undertakers at their house and take them to the garage to pick up the hearse. Of course nothing is going right, jeep cj2a with bad wipers, lousy heat, tires with chains, 2 extra undertakers cause the decease is a little large, and now a hearse with a dead battery. Where are we going--- Indian Creek Dr in Lower Merion, PA. What is a 1/2 hr drive in normal times turns into a 5 hr drive with drifts. Upon getting to Indian Creek Dr we find two Lower Merion cops stuck in a drift who were supose to be answering a call to the same household about a death. Do you mind if we kinda tag along. By this time the electricity had gone out and since there were no road numbers we had to knock on a few doors before we found the right place. Knocking on the door of the right place the son answers the door. He says that he put Dad outside since he thought it might be days before anyone get there to rescue them and he might go bad indoors, Didn't we notice him walking up the walk, to which everyone slowly looks over their shoulder to 3ft drifts everywhere. One cop replys that this is not looking good while the rest of us are shoveling looking for body under the watchful gaze of 4 undertakers in wing tips. True to form, the son realizes after 20 minutes of digging that wasn't the door that they took dear old dad out(really big mansion with lots of doors) 2 hours later after the cops and undertakers had determined there was no foul play(there was no CSI back then), it was time to return Drexel Hill and home which was another couple hours. My Grandfather looks at us and says "what the hell took you so long" you got 300 drives to do.
  18. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

mine would be the one I get payed by everyone on time.payup

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

fireball i bought a 95 jimmy from a funeral home, it was thryre blizzard removal tool lol, and it does smell.
  20. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I remember that storm! What area do you work in around pittsburgh? We might be haing a plow meet-check out the pennsylvania snow thread