1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your input would be much appreciated.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by CTPlow, Mar 6, 2005.

1. CTPlow

CTPlow Member

As I mentioned awhile back, I was looking to possibly relocate somewhere where there is more snow events for plowing.
    I would like to know per winter, about how many plow events you have. How many times would you say you go out and have to plow your accounts. (Excluding sanding/salting)

Thanks again in advance.

Craig

2. Dieselgeek

Dieselgeek Senior Member

Don't move to the midwest, it doesn't snow anymore...

3. wagonman76

wagonman76 Senior Member

Maybe Alaska.

I thought the northeast was getting hammered more than anyone lately, but all Ive got to go by is what I hear.

Last winter we had quite a bit here. But this year we havent had jack squat for snow. Its raining right now. Unless you wanted to make money salting.

4. wstwind

wstwind Senior Member

Minnesota has an average of about 18 snow events a season, this year has been extremely dry. In fact, 04-05 season has the lowest snowfall record for the last 50 years! I hear Antartica has a lot of snow!! LOL. Good Luck :cool: :cool:

5. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

It seems to me that you have a choice.. if you live in an area that gets snow, but not a whole lot (NJ, MD, VA, etc), you don't do much volume, but you can charge quite a bit for it as there is much less competition. If it snows alot, like it generally does here in NE Ohio, you work alot, but due to everyone with a truck owning a plow, you get much less per event. I'd rather do less work for more money myself.. I know that my brother lives 2 hrs south in Columbus and they get maybe 1/3 of the snow we get, if that. If you really want to move where there's lots of snow, I'd move somewhere that gets lots of lake effect snow. Buffalo, western Michigan, NE Ohio, etc. Make sure you're east of a great lake and you should get lots of snow as long as temps are cold enough. I've been out at least 20 times this season and I live in the secondary snow belt of NE Ohio, with most of those being lake effect events.

6. snowpusher 03

snowpusher 03 Junior Member

i v been out about 17 times this year. we mostly go out around 20 to 25 times a year .snow falls of 2inches and up. the least i'v been out is 11 times man that was a good year had a 120 houses that year. :drinkup:

7. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I know the bufflao area and osweago (spelling I know) get a lot every year.

8. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Move to Northern New York or Michigan area. The lakes make alot of snow regularly. Everyware, and I mean everyware goes in cycles of about 7 years. NE has been hit hard this year- repeat of 1995/1996 winter season. Next year will be less severe here, and so will the following, which should be almost no snow based on history.

9. mylittlescoop

mylittlescoop Senior Member
    from nj

If your a small time plower selling your house and packing up the kids for more snow is not really a wise idea unless you are moving to New York,or Alaska have a lot of knowladge of the industry or you are going to to start a large companya nd even if your going to start a large comany commercial insurance is about 4 g's a year and to spend that kinda money on unreliable mother nature you would have to be averaging making at least 10 thousand a season to cover your costs help ect and thats not oging to happen the fisrst year you move here your going to have to take some time to get to know your enviroment,store owners word of mouth advertise...The list goes on and on...
    I

Whatever you do dont move to New Jersey thats for sure but that whereever you go think about things like insurance rates expenses ect

10. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

While the grass may seem to look greener (or should I say the snowbanks look taller) on the other side, before you move anywhere, look not only at the opportunities to do business, but the available market as well as the overall costs of doing business in a given location.
    While we do get a lot of snow here in Buffalo, especially in the famed snow belt 20 to 30 miles south of the city, there is an awful lot of competition and our costs are high. We suffer constant job losses, (Erie County just laid of 2100 people, and the county is the areas biggest employer), negative job growth during the past decade, some of the highest sales, income, excise, property taxes in the nation (yes snow plowing and salting is taxable, 8.25% off the top to the government), and high motorvehicle insurance rates just to name a few.

If I was not a divorced father of two awesome boys ages 16 and 13 I would
    have left New York by now. I'm just staying till they get off to college, then I will leave, to find opportunities where the cost of business and living will not take so much of what I work so hard for.

So yea I can say on an average winter I plow snow a lot, you may find you can plow snow less and make more money elsewhere.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  11. dirtwork

dirtwork Member
    from ohio

Move to the mountains of Utah. I am currently planning a ski trip and they have had over 550 inches of snow this year!

12. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

South Bend -Inidana has the highest average in the US.

No other job's to speak of but they do get the snow.

13. butters

butters Member

I don't know where you got your info, but these are annual snowfall averages from the National Weather Service.

South Bend, IN 76.5"
    Akron, OH 47.9"
    Erie, PA* 86.1"
    Marquette, MI (Negaunee Township) 184.7"
    Buffalo, NY 97"
    Rochester, NY 93"
    Gaylord, MI 149.6"
    Petoskey, MI 121"
    Sault Saint Marie, MI 132.4"
    Grand Rapids, MI 71.9"
    Muskegon, MI 106"
    Chicago, IL 38"

These are areas that receive a fair amount of lake effect snow. I am sure there are areas in the mountains (Washington, Vermont, New Hamshire, Colorado, etc.) that get much much more.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  14. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Don't move to Montana. I've plowed 3 times this year. I havn't turned a wheel since Jan 8th. This is the first time in my business history that I havn't billed out for Feb. We've had 50 to 60 degrees for the past month. I'm affraid that if it does snow, it will just melt as fast as it comes down. I owe the bank 8000, my wife 4500, and have a major insurance payment coming up. It's hard not to get a bad attitude.

15. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

North East Ohio does get a good bit of snow each year. Not a lot this season,mostly rain,backside snow, but we do get a lot most years. If you want to subcontract your services this might be the area to relocate. But, don't think you can come in and take over.We all been doing it a long time so we know the turf and the game! Meyer plows were born right here!

16. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Buffalo

I thought Buffalo was the snowiest place in the US? I know upper MI and N WI get lots of snow also, but as to how many events I wouldn't know. I do know you don't want to move here. We had 5 plowable events this winter. Many salting events though, which is why I need to get a salter for next year, and my own accounts now that I did the sub thing for 2 yrs.

Jeff

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The contractor I work for asked me to get a salt spreader next year. He said I could make 3 times the money a year if I had one. Worse part is I have a Fisher 10 bagger sitting in the garage! Guess I better mount it and get a controller and make a lot more next year. Poor truck thought it only worked when we got a real snow storm!

18. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I'm in NorthEast CT and I have plowed 14 times this year and last year was ok also.
    Plus the pay outs are good for driveways I know.
    Up to $50 per push.

19. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Here in MN, I've got 15 contracts that are set up between $75 - $100 / hour for an 8' blade on a 3/4 ton truck, for an average of 18 2" snowfalls for a 6 month season.

So far this year I've plowed 8 times.

Looks like here in MN, you can make $200+ / hour. :)

That's even WITHOUT salting.

However...

I've got buddies that are doing work / event / hour.

They've made about $2,000 all winter.

It's not where you plow, it's the accounts that you have and how you're able to set up being paid.