1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your ideas and thoughts

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by vincent, Jan 23, 2011.

1. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I salt and plow 3 accounts, one requires ice melt, the other 2 rock salt. I currently use a snowex 575 and usually have on hand a pallet of rs and enough lce melt (15-20 bags) to service the one account.

Prices run $245 a pallet for the rs and $8/bag for the ice melt.

What would be a better way of doing this. I would like to run bulk, cause its cheaper, running about $85 a ton and I could load the day of work cause I have no way of storing it. But sometimes one account doesn't want salt, but only snow removal. The daycare and school gets it always.

Would you;
    1-keep things the same
    2-buy a vbox, and brand and size, prefer electric
    3-or your suggestions.

side note, I talked to a guy the other day at the gas station. He made a wooden box, holds about a half of ton of rs and just shovels it in the hitch spreader. He said he uses it all when he goes out so it doesn't freeze. I guess there are several ways of looking at this I guess.

2. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

how much of that pallet of rock are you using per storm? I wouldnt waste my money on a vbox at this stage of the game. Especially if your running two different materials to boot. Plus, you will end up buying a small vbox .5 yard or something and if you grow within a year if not sooner you will want a bigger one. I recommend waiting to get one till you absolutly need one. And at 2 salting accounts you dont need one. While yes, it is cheaper to run the bulk salt, id just stick with the bag. Youre only using rock on 2 accounts so why bother. Plus what if you end up with too much or not enough rock salt? Then what do you do with that added salt? You have no where to store it, you need to unload it then reload it into the truck to load it into the spreader. Youve now handled that material 4 or 5 times before its spread which comes close then in price to the bagged. With bagged if you have too much left over, keep it in the truck, throw a tarp or soemthing over it and youre ready to go.

3. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

agreed, bagged salt sounds like it is working for you, if you are looking to save $$, then i would recomend finding somehwere where you can store some drums/bins with lids or in a semi-controlled enviroment, filled with your bulk salt. i know some people that leave bulk salt in drums on location, but it tends to freeze if it's not a quality rock.

the in-bed salt bin for bulk salt, is a great idea. you could build it from wood, fiberglass, or something else... especially when you don't want salt covering the bed of your truck..
    bags are almost as space efficient as the in-bed bin idea.. but you don't have to worry about any bags getting covored in snow..

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Bulk is cheaper to apply but not necessarily cheaper to use if you factor in something to load it with, somewhere to store it etc. I've done it just about every way, but to get into detail would be a long reply,lol.

Bagged salt: expensive but can be easily stored and is there when you need it. No other machines to load it with etc.

Bulk salt: cheaper to buy but not easily stored or loaded and can freeze up to the point of useless.

Like someone else asked...how much salt are you going through a night? IMO, if its less than half a pallet I would stick with bagged. If we didn't pick up this Lowe's we do I would still be using bagged or our liquid systems. My skid steer is rusting more and more every day I see it.

5. pvtben121

pvtben121 Senior Member

o my bagged salt is $245 i would go vbox and bulk salt 1 /3 the price on salt you would easily pay for the price of your vbox by the end of winter
    go poly salt dogg all electric 1.5 cu yd

6. Dr Who

Dr Who Senior Member

this may be a stupid question, but how does something that melts snow and ice freeze up?

I have hear that the bags will do the same, but I never cover mine, they just sit in the back of the truck. One of the local landscaping supply companies have about 500 pallets of salt sitting outside all winter long.

What little I have left in the walk behind spreader by accident just turns to a soup....

or does it not get cold enough here for long periods of time to freeze up?

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Get a Vbox and pick up the bulk salt then when you get to the job you need "melter" just dump a few bags of Cal on the salt in the front of the Vbox. The two products will mix together on the conveyor by the time it hits the spreader.