1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your help deciding Western / Blizzard - PLZ

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PerfiCut L&L, Oct 26, 2005.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Western 8' Pro or Blizzard 800? for an 05 F250.

2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

whats there to discus western wins hands down. no questions asked. the only place were blizzard would be better is if you were getting a 810 the western has the most reliable motor and electrical system. its the quickest mount and a two year warranty i wonder why anybody buys a blizzard straight blade.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Perf.
    I believe you have alot of contracts this winter, and if that is the case I would go with a blizzard 810. however if you don't want the power wings the western pro+ would be my plow. I was just unsure of how the blizzard would last that is why I bought the western. I can tell you that my next plow will be an 810 no questions asked.

4. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

i had a western and it worked nice little light but no problmes all last winter. hook up was a sweet breeze real quick.

the blizzard has a bit more weight may scrap better hook up is still fast just not as fast as the western. pricing i belive is close for both. do you have parking lots? the speedwing from blizzard would be a great item for that and its 8.6 so a little wider. i was looking at one today built real nice and simple design for wings, great for parking lots and less money than an 810. best of both worlds straioght blade less cost and wings that move.

i went with the 810 since all i do is lots. shopuld be fun bring on the snow

jeff

5. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

plow

I would go with a western just because if it breaks down you can call S&S Auto and they run service during snow storm is their a blizzard rep. around that would do the. But that is my 2 cent

6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

western hands down almost as reliable as my baker/flink

7. cjc810

cjc810 Member
    from RI

Blizzard all the way.

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

dude a blizzard is the only way to go. Also I would at least get a 860 speed wing. Anthing with wings is better than a obsolete straight blade.

Got to get wide.

9. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

If the choice is only between these two it is a hard choice make I would go with the installer that will give you the best deal on the plow and install.The more you save the more payup you will have for :drinkup: :drinkup: :rolleyes:

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They are both great plows, Westerns are well known, and easy to get parts for. Blizzards are built really stong and have really great welding on them..I gues its which ever one you like the best...Good luck

11. Kason & Riley

Kason & Riley Senior Member

Blizzard hands down !

12. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Well it looks like theirs no way to lose in this decision. I do like the security of knowing S&S is open 24hr for repairs if need be. Theres another place off joppa rd thats open 24hrs if need be as well. Parts availability is another big plus.

Of course I'd like to get the 810, but budget this year is tite due to our plans for expansion in the spring. Besides, I have a few other pieces of equipment Im looking to pick up as well.

Thanks for all your input.

13. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Can someone nicely explain to those of us who don't own Blizzards what their advantage(s) are OTHER THAN THE POWER EXTENSIONS/WINGS FEATURE.

I'm not putting them down or trying to start an argument cause they seem like great plows. I'm just trying to determine what the good points of the Blizzard design are but most of the discussion is always about the power features or the weight. Honesty would be appreciated if there are any weak points or problems or design flaws too...

Thanks!

IMHO Western's handle 95 plus per cent of our plowing needs just fine and nobody (well maybe Curtis) beats the ultramount system. They're not overly heavy and not too lightly made. Their major problem is that they seem to have gotten a bit sloppier with fit and finish. Hopefully good competition from Blizzard and the other guys will help cure this issue...

14. SnowDozers

SnowDozers Member

Price...

A Western is $4500 installed out the door.
    Blizzard is $3000 installed opt the door.

In Michigan, Blizzard will beat all plows in price because of the shipping difference.

15. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

whats a Western? Must be something out west, dont ever see them around here.

16. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

All plows are yellow up your way, right???

Snowdozers - 3 grand for a regular Blizzard? Not bad, I'd buy one too for that!

17. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i dont think there is any. but i can give you resons not to get one.
    1. western has the most reliable hydraulics made.
    2. westerns are faster
    3. western has the best electrical package offered no open relays to fail just one solid state board
    4. western has a 2 year warranty
    5. western offers the quikest available, not that it matters if it takes yo 10 seconds or 30 in my opinion but other people seem to care
    6. western offers the better controller options
    and last as you read all of these i would tell you to look at the bottom of each persons responce and see what the say and what they have most people will stick up for what they buy. so do i, but i own both a blizzard and a western

18. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Spam!

lol

You have to be the most politically correct snowplow owner out there.

19. MD Power Plow

MD Power Plow Senior Member

There are a few things I like abut 810 "it was a very hard choice for me between the western V blade and the 810 Blizard" the reason I chose the 810 was 1. that it was a 10' blade and if I were to sub for anyone I knew that I would be put on a bigger lot and it pays better to have a 10' blade.Also that would retract to 8' for traveling. 2. it is easy on and off. 3. the plow turns with a load around corners. 4. Unlike the ones that have a chain that raises/lowers the blade this does not, when you hit an unknown pothole the blade does not feel like it going to fly through the windsheild "yes I know lol it scared the bleep out of me." these are afew thing I like.

and here it goes for the Bad things, It has a huge hook up receiver that he power hitch grabs and yes pulls the truck in to lock on its not as clean looking as the western when the plow are off for the summer but it does make a great step up for washing the truck hood. 2. the powder coat on the receiver needs to be ground off where the forks hook in to the pins if it is not you may need to pry the plow off the truck it not to bad. 3. OH NEVER NEVER CHARGE BY THE HOUR unless you felt guilty giving the bill because I have found that it is very efficinent in what it dose. 4. The cap for the plug on the plow needs to be a better design it was riped off by the snow the 2 time plowing its only held on by a small wire. 5. they are expensive. 6. I just was double checking with my wife about what else I may have said was wrong with the plow or what I didn't like, and she said "yeah....that you don't have 2 of them!" LOL

And that's just my 2 cents :drinkup:

20. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

You got that right!