1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your definition of "push".

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Tubby's Snow Plowing, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Tubby's Snow Plowing Senior Member

Talked with a couple other plow guys here yesterday and there was confusion about "push". Some guys charge per push, but have a different meaning for it.

One guy says a push to him is one service call. You go out and "push" and it's one storm/visit/trip. They charge $20-30 per push depending on snowfall.

Other guy says a push to him is a forward or backward movement when the plow is on the deck. Drop the plow, push it to the snowbank, lift the plow and that's one push. He charges $5 per push under 6 inches and $10 per push over 6 inches, and $15 per push over 12 inches. However many pushes, or "swipes", it takes to clear the property is what the bill is. Say it's under 6 inches and took him 4 swipes with the plow, 4 x $5 = $20 for the service. Next place is a small bank parking lot that takes 14 swipes to clear, 14 x $5 = $70 for the service. So 18 swipes at $5 each swipe is $90 billed.

What do you guys call a "push"? Is it one event or each individual "swipe" or "run" with the plow?
  2. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

The second one you mentioned is nuts to even keep track of it. Per push is a per visit term in my eyes. But I charge per storm so if I come twice its the same price.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

A push is one visit to clear the property. I sure wouldn't want to sit there trying to remember how many swipes I had to take.
  4. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I've never in my life heard the second definition. I've always heard/thought of it as a push being you clearing the whole space you are contracted for... i.e. the first definition.

Seems like there would be a lot of room for disagreement on the customers part in the second explination.. Do guys charge for mowing by how many lines they make? definitely not.
  5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Per push, as stated, is one complete clearing of the property or propsed location for snow plowing.
    Where I got different in my contracts is I also had a seperate charge for a service call. It was a flat fee. A service call covered drifting, etc. If I plowed more than 50% of the area or was there more than 50% of my avearge per push time, it then became a charge for a push.
    The time thing came in because I had a property that would take more time than a per push when it drifted badly.
  6. slave2lawns

slave2lawns Member

Hold on , let me ask my 9yr old. LOL . Per push = per visit @ the location. Not per swipe.
  7. Tubby's Snow Plowing

The per swipe guy makes a lot of money doing it that way and has a lot of customers. His commercial accounts are crazy lucrative. His front loader is $300 per hour plus $20 per swipe. His cleanup trucks (half ton) that assist the front loaders are $20 per swipe for commercial accounts. Guess it works for him.
  8. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

What is that guy thinking! Per swipe is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I think he's blowing smoke up your.... $300 per hour PLUS $20 per swipe? Yeah right.
  9. Tubby's Snow Plowing

No he's for real. I've seen the invoices and the checks. I've talked with his customers. It's for real and they don't mind.
  10. Sammy

Sammy Member

Must be a Detroit thing.
  11. Premier

Premier Senior Member

guess i'm in the right business in the wrong location........... no way would i want to count how many pass's i make in a lot per visit after a 36 hr snow run..... ill stick with my per visit prices some days those are hard enough to figure out after the "Big ones"
  12. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Just when you think you have heard it all.:rolleyes:
  13. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

you believe everything you hear? why on earth would he show u invoices and checks? did you also ask to see the size of his....? the more I see tubby post the more I realize this guy is off his rocker.
  14. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

For real, I love this site!
  15. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Because we doubted the way he charged and got paid, as it didn't make sense to us. He had paperwork with him since he went to collect bills so he had them to show.

Guess you only have one way of life in your head and that's the only way it can ever be. Sad. :nod:
  16. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Looks like it's time to downsize to an ATV with a 6' blade or maybe just a 20" Toro Powerlite, and charge per swipe on commercials...all this time I've been leaving tons of money on the table. I could have been retired by now. :rolleyes:
  17. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

All this this boils down to is some poor schmuck took a wild guess as to the meaning...garunteed.
  18. Tubby's Snow Plowing

Well, if you have customers willing to pay, why not? I can sort of see it as a you are paying for the wear/tear directly so more passes the more wear/tear/time. Normally we just simplify it and charge per storm or season but he "nickel and dimes" it down to per pass/swipe. Different strokes for different folks.
  19. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Why wouldn't he just use 2 feet of his 8 foot blade? Less wear and tear on his equipment, and many more pushes that he can charge for. Sounds wonderful if I was him, and also sounds like a crazy way to charge. I don't understand why anyone intelligent would ever sign up for that.
  20. paponte

paponte Senior Member

That has got to be one of the funniest things I have ever heard on here. Man, the questions that I can come up with! What if it's a big storm and you only take half passes. Do you take into consideration the amount of windrow lost when the plow is angled? If you start a pass and your phone rings and you stop to answer it... a) do you only charge for half a push, then hang up and charge another half. b) charge for half a push, back up to gain momentum then hit the pile pushing it to it's final destination, charging for the additional half push but subtracting the amount of feet you backed up to gain momentum. c) back all the way up to your starting point because you forgot what push you were on, calculate the amount of feet you traveled adding a bs fee for having to start over.

I could just imaging route sheets! they'd be full of tally's!! :help:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.