1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Your advice on safety lights

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KL3, Sep 6, 2003.

1. KL3

KL3 Junior Member

I need to install some type of warning lights on my new GMC 1 ton dump. I don't think I should use my 17 year old magnetic mounted revolving lite with the flash lite bulb anymore! If anyone can give me some advice and opinion on them with a ball park price I would appreciate it.
  2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

There are tons of lights out there that you could choose from. For me, I would choose a mini-lightbar with perhaps some secondary warning at rear of truck such as hide-a-flash strobes or perhaps LEDs. It should be plenty. I know that some guys like to run full size lightbars with all other lights, putting out light show on the street. It does look cool, but I think that it is an overkill and a waste of your vehicle electrical system especially when you have the plow running when it need the most.

Do a search for amber lights or warning lights, and you should come up with several threads that has covered this topic before. Good Luck!
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My buddy mounted two Whelen self-contained strobe lights #2010's on the cab protector.It works very well for him.
  4. wyldman

wyldman Member

I have both the strobe systems,and the older style rotating beacons.The strobes are more visable,and attract a lot more attention,too much attention sometimes.

The rotating beacons do a good enough job,without being overly loud or obnoxious.They are also cheap and easy to mount,and very dependable as long as they don't get full of water and corrosion inside.
  5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I ran a rotating beacon for 20+ years, I still like them, but my current truck is running near the limit of my charging systems capacity so I switched to strobes on this one. Strobes draw very little power compared to halogen or incandescent bulbs, plus theres no motor drawing power.

If I had enough juice, I'd probably still be running the beacon on this truck.
  6. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I bought an ECCO 5135A for my truck. It draws 10 amps, but for a little over $100, it is a very effective, very visable warning light.

ECCO 5135

7. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

I prefer the rotator over the strobes , just never really got into them. You could get a nice mini light bar that would look good on the new truck. BTW where are you at in upstate NY??
  8. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

im in the process of installing stobes right now i got the nova system 4 head with swith all prewired all you have to do is run the wires and install bulbs it cost me $293
  9. chayesf250

chayesf250 Junior Member

I just installed 6 hide-away stobes in my F250. I was doing some research online and although everyone knows Whelen supplies great lights, Tomar is the way to go. The company has been around for like 30 yrs but it doesn't have the name like Whelen but the lights are incredible. They are bright, bright even during day light. They have many diffrent sized full lightbars that you could look into.
  10. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

11. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

on my personal truck I have a whelen powerpack and hideaway strobes with whelen LEDS mounted to a cab protector in the back. I use the truck for emergency repairs, year round at jobsites and at the side of the interstate when the trucks.trailers decide to break down. Total was about 250 for the strobes and 120 for the leds. At one time I also ran a federal signal highlighter, but the motor on one of the rotators is messed up.

Last year, I put an awdirect (nova?) strobe on the company truck and whelen leds on the bulkhead for more warning to the back, since this truck covered a site road/commercial offices in a large complex.

The Strobe was self contained 22-30watt output for $80 and the leds were about $120.

The strobe/led combo seems best right now. LEDs are extremely bright and have multiple warning patterns. Both types have low draw on the electric system.

While halogen rotators like the highlighter are bright, I don't think they're as reliable as a strobe or led system, especially since I've had problems in the past in extreme cold, with the light slowing up.