1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by MGoBluePlow!, Jul 17, 2006.

1. MGoBluePlow!

MGoBluePlow! Junior Member

Hello everybody! My name is Steven and this is my first post, although I have been looking at these forums for a couple of weeks(great forums by the way!)Well, since I haven't ever done any plowing I have a couple of questions...

(Some of you may consider this personal information and I am fine if you do not feel comfortable revealing it)

1. Did you guys go to college?... I am really wondering if I should go to college or if I should keep working and save up some money to start my own business.

2. How much do you veterans in the biz generally make in a year?... I know this fluctuates from year to year, but maybe an estimate... Second, I am not trying to be greedy or get all up in your business, I was just curious. Again, I will be fine if you do not feel comfortable sharing this.

3. How do you get started in areas where there is already other competetion?... Wouldn't people rather have the experienced guy rather than the rookie... I know I would

I think that is about it and any responses are greatly appreciated.:drinkup:
  2. MGoBluePlow!

Oh yeah, I forgot one more thing. Ok, I'm not trying to sound stupid or anything or like a newbie or something I'm just trying to learn. While I've been browsing I have seen two words repeated over and over...

Timbrens... and... drumroll please.....................

Ballast! What the heck are they and what do they mean? Again I'm not trying to sound dumb I just want to learn and figured this was the place to do it.

Sorry about double posting. I havent figured out all the ins and outs of this forum yet and whether or not you can edit a post.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

First, If I was You, I would first graduate from High school.

What experience do you have with snow removal?

Timbrens, http://www.albanyspring.com/
    And just do a search on those two words and you should have enough to keep you busy for a while..lol
  4. MGoBluePlow!

So you are saying that I should try to find an area where there is no competetion and start there? Isn't that going to be kind of hard considering most places that get a decent amount of snow aleady have competetion in them?:eek:
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Good luck.
  6. MGoBluePlow!

Wow! Thank you for all the great information guys.:drinkup:
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Go to collage, take some business administration, a little marketing, some english for polish, some hort courses if your planning on the green industry. Don't focus on a degree, focus on the things you can use to manage your own business. If you plan on being self employed a degree isn't as important as the individual classes, a renaissance education is more important then a narrowly focused major.
    Part of this education should include work with an established business, learning the ends and outs from someone whom has already paid their dues. Perhaps with someone headed for retirement, with the possibility of purchasing their business as your initial customer base.

And remember doing the job cheap only means you make less money.

Mick: It's not rocket science, it's harder. There's no computers doing the thinking, and no uncle sam writing the paycheck. Just a driver operating by the seat of his pants, depending on experance and good preparation.
  8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

1. yes, but i did not finish i decided to start a business. i would not reccomend this. stay in some sort of school after high school for at least four years, this will give you time to mature.
    2.i'm not in the "biz" it's just a hobbie(kinda like hunting or fishing) for me. last season we went out 3-4 times and brought in $14k. and last season we spent apx $36k, thats a negative cash flow of $22k (we have equidty in the trucks).
    3. IMO the BEST way to get started is to buy a shovel and a broad cast spreader(about $50 investment) and land a sidewalk deal, then next year you'll have two people asking you to scoop their walks, year three you'll have four walks and two drives. year four you'll have five walks and ten drives and one commercial lot. year five you'll get bigger and bigger and bigger and have more equiptment and more headaches. hope this helps
  9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well the 1st question do own as a vehicle. Cause thats make a big difference on what kind of plowing your going to do. :rolleyes:

Send me or SALOPEZ a Private message, if you want a job plowing this winter. We plow right here in columbia or west baltimore. We can get you set up I think we might even get you set up with a used plow too. Heck we could use another guy name steve working for us. we got 4 now and 5 guys name brian. Makes it interesting when salopez and I are discussing which brian or steve did what. :D :realmad:
  10. Mick

from Maine

Did you check his profile? That's why I didn't respond till after his second post. Then I thought "Hey, maybe we've got a serious young man here." Nothing against you, Steven, and always glad to help someone starting out. :waving:
  11. MGoBluePlow!

Well, no I do not own a plow, nor do I own a truck but I am really serious about getting into this business. Right now I am trying to learn as much as I can, as early as I can because I would really like to have my own plow business.
  12. Mick

from Maine

Steven, if you want some reading to get started, go the the main Forums page, look on the gray bar and click on "Search". Type in "Starting Business". That should bring up a lot of threads with relavant information. Scroll down to the fifth one or so titled "Getting Started" by Misterplow. In that one, I posted bunch of appropriate links and stuff for someone thinking about starting a plow business.
  13. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Well I need some operators. Feel like running a bobcat, backhoe or tractor?
    I got the same guys that come back every year just to run equipment because they don't own 4x4 rigs. They are addicted to snow plowing, but can't afford the addiction costs. :drinkup:

Really for your first year out, its better to work for someone to see how it all works.
  14. machuta

machuta Junior Member
    from chicago

15. pools&plowingct

pools&plowingct Member

hey steve
    plowing isn't one of those jobs that is for everyone you have to make sacrifices i have been plowing since i was 15 i am 21 now i have spent a few hrs/days in a truck pushin. me personally i love it and i wouldn't wannado anything else in the winter. my advise to you since you don't have any experience would be to plow for some one. i started off by blowing driveways for 3 yrs. then last yr i changed companies and did commercial lots which i liked more. this yr i am getting my class b and plowing rd for the construction company i work for. if i lived in MD i would jump on itsgottabegreens offer to run a machine spend a few yrs then maybe get in wwith a big construction company running there stuff.

as far is college i went for 3 yrs still going no major yet.
    as for pay being a driver/ operator i made enough to make it worth getting outa bed

and as far as getting started, again plow for some one else at first to learn how to do it because you can sink alot of money into a plow truck and destroy it faster than you make money.
    good luck
  16. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

first of all even if you are going into bussiness you sould go to college even if u take night classes and u go for 15years you can never learn enough

second you will make as much money as the time you put into it

third word of mouth and flyers are a great place to start for advertising

do not lowball do not do a job if the moeny isnt worth it for you...think about gas and equiptment cost there are a lot of things that go into a bussiness and you should also do whats right for you....but i would deff take classes here and there you can never and i mean never learn enough

good luck with everything
  17. MO TOYS

MO TOYS Senior Member

I am probably a little late with this but i have just started a land scaping buisness my self.
    I cant answer all your questions but i know what timbrens and ballast are.

Timbrens are bump stops that go in the front or the rear of the vehicle in which you are going to be towing with or plowing with. they keep the vehicle from sagging when you have large amounts of weight.

Ballasts are an amount of weight you put behind the rear wheels to counter the plow weight on the front axle.