1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You'll need your thinking cap for this one....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ian03, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

Just put on my Fisher 7.5 foot Minute Mount on my Silverado. It randomly works perfectly but will sometimes react funny. I was trying it out this morning and it worked great, fast, everything was perfect. I get in my truck a couple hours later and when I ask it to go left, it goes up. When I try to go right, it makes a sound like its all the way right and can't go anymore. Up and down work perfect. Keep in mind this is intermittent and if I go out right now it may work fine, WTF?? I have no idea what to check for or how to figure this out. Any takers?? A search of "Fisher Problem" got one similar problem a year ago but no replies. Thanks guys.

2. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Iano3,

Something similar happened to me but during a storm last winter on a brand new x-blade. Unfortunately, it didn't repeat itself at the fisher dealer. And that was the last storm of the season. They thought it was due to a steel filing, from manufacture keeping a valve open as that had been a problem on a run of cylinders from fisher that year 2004. I feel it was simply a case of crossed connections in the terminal plug-ins. Before you do anything extreme, and I know this sounds simplistic but, make sure your electrical hook-ups are clean, dry and covered with dielectric grease ( non drying silicone). Of course it could be your fishstick as well I think. There are more qualified people here than me to speak to your problem.

By the way, I'm in Hampton as well.
    Good Luck

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i had that happen on my fisher minute mount when i first got it. turns out there were metal shavings in the master solenoid.

4. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Ian03 - Other than this quirk, how do you like the plow? How does the truck handle it?

5. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

I am going to do a fluch on the system and see if I can get any of the possible shavings out, then I will take it to someone who can check it out. Anyone know how to flush it? I opened the allen key filler port and the ATF was topped off and as red as the day it left the bottle.

Deereguy, good to see another Hampton guy on here. As far as I know it's me, you and my friends Matt and Pat who are Avalancheplow.

Bad Luck. Here's the skinny on my rig. 03 X-Cab 1/2 ton with 285/75-16 Dunlop mudders on it. I have the torsions cranked up but thats it, no Timbrens yet. Anyway, not much sag at all. The only difference I can tell is the obvious weight bias towards the front. It's raining now and giving it gas at anything under 20 miles an hour just roasts the rear tires, gonna have to get me some weight in the rear I guess.

Thanks for the help guys.

6. danno

danno Senior Member

Had that happen to me when I bought this used 99 MM from someone. It was the first time it was tried for the season, and went up and down ok, but turning it left, it went up and right didn`t work. I had 1 1/2 hrs to drive home and had to be at work in 2. So I figure ,let me just get this thing home and can look at it another time, when after 20 minutes of driving on 95, the temp gauge starts to climb up to 240-260 degrees! I couldn`t turn it to get enough air flow to the radiator.
    I`m thinking to myself, I just bought this POS and its gonna kill my truck for paying 350.00. I turned up the heat full blast, and opened the windows, still cursing myself for buying it. Anyway, when I get home, I call my wife out to show her the plow, and lo and behold, it works! I figured the pistons were probably frozen from sitting outside with a tarp over it for the summer.

7. naco

naco Member

i had this happen to two plows. the first one had metal shavings in the system. empty the system out then re-fill up with atf, and bleed it from the lines to the cylinders. do it about 2x's. that worked for me. the second plow would move the way i wanted it to, then when i tried to move it again it will move different. i check all the wires made sure no wires were touching, it turn out to be a faulty relay that was shorting out. hope this will help. :)

8. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Naco,

Thanks for that relay tidbit. My unit was flushed out by the installer so if I have a reoccurrence I'll make them check or replace any related relays. I'm assuming that it was a fisher module relay not a factory one?

9. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

Ian03,
    This is unrelated but are you salting or sanding this year?

10. Ian03

Ian03 Senior Member

DeereGuy

No sir, just the old half ton this winter. I will think about it with a tougher truck next year but for now I am just getting my feet wet. no commercial accounts yet so the need for it hasn't come up.

Why do you ask?

11. DeereGuy

DeereGuy Senior Member

I'm asking because I realize that to push snow is not enough for most comm. accts. . I need to have a reliable sub that can spread on call or purchase somthing, or just plan on doing residentials.

Most retail, assted medical and service businesses know that they have to cover there butts. I just happen to have the one comm. acct. in town that doesn't care if they have salt or sand until it's an ice rink so it's hard to justify the expense at this point. Still, the more I read on this site the more I realize how well a spreader could even out the cash flow during a snowless winter; given that you could sell the service.

I think avalancheplow has a tailgate unit though I've never seen it on their rig. I also don't have any place to store salt or chemical.