1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You what?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have a very good friend that drives my 2nd truck. I pay him well for his time. Probably as much as some of you pay your subs. I feel he's more of a part of the business than an employee. His work and interest in the business reflects this attitude.

Anyways he's shopping for a truck now - he previously had a car. He's look at one certain 3/4 ton diesel right now. Late model - low miles.

Anyways i sorta assumed he put a plow on it (he has now reason to be towing things). I told him i would cover the costs and dock him for it. I was checking on the local availability of our welding shop to see when we could fit it in if he did buy it..... etc etc.

Well he told me he isn't sure he wants a plow - which obviously means he doesn't want a plow since he told me this. He said he's worried of the strain on his truck. WHAT???

Well obviously it's his decision cause it's his truck. But how can i keep paying him sub wages to "strain" my truck while his truck sits around????? It also sorta throws the "part of the business" idea out the window.

On the flip-side i wouldn't feel good about cutting his wages for not running his truck for me.....

I guess i did this to myself. Why would he want to "strain" his truck if i'm paying him well enough to "strain" mine.....

Any advice?

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

What's there to say? He doesn't want to plow with his truck. I wouldn't consider him a partner if he's not really adding half of anything to the business. He's a great employee and that's what he is, an employee. It also isn't fair to cut his wages either. In fact, maybe he'd deserve a raise if he were to use his truck. I'd quit if I got a pay cut for now wanting to use my own personal equipment. If he does a great job in your truck and you want to keep him and the friendship, I wouldn't push the issue. But why would he want to drop 4k on a plow when he has yours for free at sub wages?? That's my worthless .02 cents.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If he doesnt use his equipment plowing, then its a drivers hourly wage. If he uses his own truck and plow, then he's a sub-contractor. Easy as that.

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

He'd make substantially more using his truck. He didn't have a truck before and not really the ability to get one before. I always thought he'd get a truck and a plow if he had the opportunity.

Probably not worth posting anything about your right - i was rambling....... what the hell though

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007
  5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Hummmm, Thats a tough one....What do you think his reaction would be if you cut his wages for not using his truck? When you started to pay him sub rates, was there any reason behind it or was it just because he is a good employee? It also depends on what his intention was when he wanted to get a truck in the 1st place. Did he solely get it for personal use? If thats the case, I would say you are stuck paying him sub rates with your truck. Or was he originally planning to use it for the "business" and then decided not too? If thats the case, I would be having a little talk with him. If you are offering to pay him substantially more for his truck and he declines. You are stuck paying him a high rate for your equipment. I will also state that the "Good Fellas" are hard to come by and if you got a good one. It is good to pay him well so he sticks around.

6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Correct, but you said that you already pay him sub wages. Is it fair to cut his pay now after he's been working for however long?

How about splitting the cost of a plow and not docking him for your half? That is very generous to front him the money for his plow. How about insurance? He'll have to find that right?

7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Yes he would. But thats his decision to make. So he's picking his poison. Dont feel guilty for not paying him that much if he picked to just drive one of your trucks.

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Yea he'll have his own insurance. The price increase for snowplowing added to his policy is minuscule compared to a new commercial policy. Saves huge $$$$ in overhead compared to getting a 3rd truck. (Not to mention buying the truck, haha)

I guess i always figured he'd be in there 50/50 if he had the opportunity. And it's not like he doesn't want to plow snow so he bought a 1/2 ton. He bought a 3/4 ton to do nothing with!!! And he doesn't want the plow i was willing to front him!!