1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

you want how much to install an ultramount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rydzewski, Jan 18, 2009.

1. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

dealer up here in Rochester, NY wants 650 to install the mount and electrical on my truck. has anyone done it on there own? if so how hard was it? is it worth the money to have the dealer do it?

- ben

2. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

What truck? I installed mine on my '04 Chevy 2500HD in an afternoon in my garage. For the most part, things just bolt together, and if you follow directions, wiring just plugs in with only a few splices needed.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have installed over a dozen wiring harnesses on differnet trucks. They are real easy to figure out if you have a slight bit of mechanical knowledge.

4. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

it's an 2006 F-150 XLT. it says i will have to notch the front bumper but that cant be too difficult.

5. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

do it yourself. its easy.

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

I wouldn't say 650 is unreasonable. It's a big job, I'm sure they charge around $100 per hour and it certainly takes a few hours. I did mine in my garage over a weekend. Maybe 8 or 10 hours all told including installing timbrens in the front. Certainly doable if you have decent set of tools and floor jacks and stuff. Air tools will certainly help.

-Jer

7. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

I think that is a little steep. It really isnt that hard. If you have the time and space to do it i say go for it. Just take your time and follow the instructions.

8. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

only thing that concerns me is in the instructions it wants me to take off the bumper and drill holes. i can do the wireing no problem but i dont have the tools to drill into my frame. I'll have to see if my friend has the right drill for it, if not i guess im goint to eat the install fee.

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

seems like you have to drill 2 holes on a ford.its easy. you can use a cordless.

10. te snow

te snow Member

I removed one from my old truck when I sold it and reinstalled it on my new truck of the same make and model (2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD). THe hardest part was installing a couple of the bolts at the front brakets to the truck. I was able to accomplish that by heating a wrench and bending it to gain access to the bolts. Bending the wrench was probably the most time consuming part of the job. After reading all the replies you know that everyone is here to help in any way possible. I just looked into getting a new Ultra Mount and the install fee is much less, but thats the grerat thing about competition.

11. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I have installed a few complete plows on Dodge trucks. It's about what they charge around here to install as well. It also is not just the vehicle side , but you will have to also build the plow as it all comes in a few big heavy boxes as well. It can be done.
    My problems start when you need to have a part warrantied. Since a Western dealer did not install it, none of them out here, (even the one I bought it from) will warranty parts until AFTER you buy a new one, they send the old one to Western and then IF Western says it is bad they will at that time refund your $$$ for the new part you bought. I am having an issue with my wiring harness at the headlight, (the molded plastic where the wires go in has a short) they will do nothing unless I pay the service dept to trouble shoot it first or buy a new one and wait. What a crock.:gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

12. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

easy did one on my 250. took me less than an hour to wire it, and about two hours to install the undercarriage. ill do it for 325!

13. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

What dealer in Rochester? I can think of a few- Unicell in Henrietta, TW truck equippers on Colvin St in the city and Wambachs in Irondequoit. Get estimates from all three.

14. rydzewski

rydzewski Member

it was Unicell.

15. bigstriss

bigstriss Junior Member
    from Il.

Took a buudy and I 6 hours to put the plow together and install the undercariage and wiring.

16. cjoverma

cjoverma Junior Member

te snow ... how do you like the truck with the plow setup im getttin ready to buy 04 chevy 2500hd with 8' western just wondering ..

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know exactly what I payed for labor for mine, but I just payed like $5300 installed before tax. I think I paid about $550 or so for the installation labor. So that doesn't sound too far off. I got a few different prices from a few different places. So I can't remember exactly. But for the most part they were around $500 or so.

18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Does that include the drive over here? :D

19. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

i bought mine in '04, cost me 3800. THey wanted 300 to install which i thought was very reasonable. The reason i installed it myself was because they were booked for a mont and a half. After all was said and done i was surprised at how simple it really is. 99% of the wiring is direct plug in. The truck side brackets on the chevys require no drilling if i remember correctly, just bolt to the tow hook holes and back to the lower IFS crossmember. Good luck, you should be fine!

20. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i put my wiring and undercarriage on in under 3 hours with a couple beers and it worked awesome with no complaints the first time!