1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You think this will break?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by BGehl, Nov 15, 2008.

1. BGehl

BGehl Member

So after seeing everyone's hinged backdrag edges, i decided i wanted to have one made.

I struck out at a couple of welding shops where the guys were just jerks (they said they would need a professional scaled drawing). I finally found i guy who would do it.

I took him some pictures of what other guys have, and was a little surprised to see just how heavy duty he made it. I just hope i will still have enough clearance when i get a cutting edge. If anyone in the Buffalo area is looking to have one of these, I can tell you where to go.

This thing will out live my plow for sure. . . .

2. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

That looks strong to me. That weld looks real good.
  3. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

thatll work :cool: thats some heavy duty fabrication. youre probably right about it outliving your plow lol
  4. Gerry125

Gerry125 Senior Member

Looks strong to me. I wouldn't have welded the nuts on.
  5. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

looks good to me. Some guy whose house I'm working on tride to give me one for free. The only problem was he wanted me to take the whole plow and its one of the old school fishers. I dont want another one of those sitting around.
  6. BGehl

BGehl Member

Yeah i wouldn't have done it either. . . .he said, "just take a torch to it"

Not every guy has a torch, but i guess it's just the excuse i needed.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

very nice. we are getting ready to make 2 of those ourself. for westerns also.

good pics
  8. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

looks like the nuts are just tacked so they don't vibrate loose and the bolts fall out.
    looks good to me:salute:
  9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

those will hold. they look like good welds.
  10. BGehl

BGehl Member

11. Chaos

Chaos Member

GREAT job Gehl.

Awesome welder, terrible finisher, hahaha. Your welder is a keeper, hard to find those real "do-it-all" welders, and give hats off to the one you found.

Your setup will actually, in theory, work better than mine. Since the blade doesn't go as far back as mine, the snow behind the shovel will push on the blade and help you scrape better.

Tacking the bolts were not necessary as long as you use lock-nuts. But you can be sure it will outlast your truck and heck, maybe even you lol
  12. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Looks good but I'd take a grinder and round those bottom edges on the supports so they never dig in and for looks also. I would take a torch and 45 them but you don't have one. Hope it works well for you.
  13. theguynextdoor

theguynextdoor Senior Member

Looks good. Like JD said, I would have those brackets cut so they dont dig in to the ground when you backdrag. I'm in Buffalo area and might have one made for my western. What did it cost you?
  14. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

wow, heavy duty
  15. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

That was my next question
  16. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Agree... just looking at it, that could be an issue. 1/2" at a 45* angle would be plenty.
  17. BGehl

BGehl Member

It cost a little more than i wanted to pay, $300, but that thing is really heavy duty and the cost of steel is way up. The guy did a favor for me a while back, so i don't mind.

I got it done at Freeman Fabricating, it is at the corner of Genesee and Crittenden , midway between Akron and Alden. i can find you the number if you are interested.

Those corners are little further off the ground then they look in the pictures. But I do have a grinder, i think i will round them off a bit.
  18. plowdog

plowdog Member
    from MN

Put that same design on my western last year- love the way it scrapes!
  19. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like he did a good job. I think you'll love that.
  20. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I think $300 was a great deal