1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You People Are Costing Me Money!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JustUsDe, Oct 2, 2003.

1. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I was reading a thread a couple of weeks ago about back-up trucks. It got me thinking. Thinking real hard. I have a sub that is going to work exclusively for me this winter due to a deal we made so I felt good. Then I got a couple more contracts than expected. I still have a few bids out. So this thread had me do something I didn't dream of doing this year. I bought a back-up truck. 84 dodge with a Myers on it. Runs great. The 4 wheel doesn't work. I think its the transfer case. But for $1,200.00 bucks I now have a little insurance in case I have a truck go down. I will post pics of it soon.:D

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can't beat having a spare truck.Good you found one cheap.

Any idea what transfer case it has in it ? Does it have locking hubs ? Maybe we can get to the bottom of the 4WD not working.
  3. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I have no clue what transfer case it has. I don't know anything about Dodges. I know you have to lock the hubs.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

It's probably an NP208.

Here is where I'd start.Put it in 4WD,in park,wheels on the ground,with the hubs unlocked.Try to turn the front front driveshaft.It should be locked,and you should not be able to turn it.If it turns,you have a transfer case\linkage problem.If it doesn't turn,then it's most likely a hub problem.

Now jack up one of the front wheels,unlock the hubs and turn the wheel.The axle shaft for that side should not be turning.Now lock the hub,and it should turn the axle shaft.If it doesn't the hubs are not engaging properly.You may be able to get them freed up.If you have to replace them,use a good quality Warm premium hubs.
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  5. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Nothing like a backup. Before coming to the college when I had a fair sized route, I had My truck, my dad plowing in his truck and we had a 1972 International Scout with a Fisher waiting in the wings just incase. Nothing like piece of mind knowing that you have a spare if trouble arises. I actually have one more truck on campus than I really need. We can get by with 3 trucks and the loader but when the big storms hit, knowing that I have that 4th truck available is huge!!
  6. Santo

Santo Banned

Nice set of chains will make it a 4 wheeler .
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2003
  7. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

Thanks for the tips!

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I can find the time to play with it.

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

No problem,let me know how you make out.
  9. LandscapeEscape77

LandscapeEscape77 COPPA Member

whats that blue spot on the front?
  10. wyldman

wyldman Member

I think it's just to hide the plate number. :D
  11. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I like the parking light repair job .....classic :)
  12. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Not a bad truck for $1200.
  13. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

not bad Ray does not look like a rust bucket from the pics .This will be your insurance policy lol.But you might of killed the snowfall for your area by getting the back up truck,you know like buying a snowblower and then we get no snow .
  14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Doesn't buying any new equipment kill all chance for snow that year? ;)

Looks like a good truck for $1200, looks solid, should be a real releif, just to know its there, even if you don't ever use it.
  15. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

It doesn't have much rust on it. My nephew said I ruined our chances for a lot of snow this winter when I bought the Chevy and Western. Wait until I tell him I now have a back-up truck.

16. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Nice dodge ray! what size meyer is on the truck? is it 1 ton or 3/4 ton? stick or automatic? Good luck with it and wish for snow!!:)
  17. Snow Jaw

Snow Jaw Senior Member

18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Nice truck Steve :D
  19. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

At first I thought you were going to yell at us for cosing you money... Instead I see we cost you money... But it was money well spent... & thats a good thing... :)