1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You know that sound??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 79Chevy, Sep 4, 2003.

1. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

You know that sound when someone drives by you and you think man why dont they just put some power steering fluid in that thing....

Well I have that sound, I really have that sound when my truck is cold... but after it warms up... then I have it when I accelerate from a stop sign or a stop light... Lastes probably a few seconds or so...
    But man does it suck!!

So about a month or two ago I installed new belts, topped off my power steering fluid and now I have this annoying noise....
    Do you think the belt is to tight??

Thanks for your help...

1979 Chevy Longbed (350ci)
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

If it's a whine,it could be the PS pump,maybe due to air entrapment,or low fluid.It could also very well be a belt that is old,or too tight.The alternator could also be making the whine.

If it's a screech,then maybe you have a loose,or glazed belt,and it is slipping.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

if its screech sound lose belts

if its a whine maybe you pryed on the pump and bent the resevoir

did it maKe the noise before you replaced the belts

4. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

I really dont think its a whine....

It must be a screech... kinda yelling sound...

I will tighten my belts tomorrow and try it out...

I will let yall know...

Thanks for your support...

For real!!!

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

The power steering belt is more prone to screeching when you turn the wheel,and the alt belt will squeek more when you first accelerate or turn on an electrical drain.
  6. owen

owen Member
    from florida

I just had the same problems when I replaced the belts. Those things have to be a lot tighter than I thought. They ALL squealed horribly.

After reading some stuff for guys with no Borroughs tool, I found that 1/4 inch deflection at 10 pounds is the desired tightness.

I pushed my thumb on my bathroom scale until I had a good idea what 10 lbs felt like. Then I tigtened the belt until my 10 pound thumb could only move the belt 1/4 inch.

No more squealing:D
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Must have been hard working with a 10 pound thumb. ;)

I lost my 10 pound thumb once I stopped wacking it with a hammer,LMAO. :D
  8. 79Chevy

79Chevy Junior Member

As usual this forum knows whats best and what to do...

Thanks to you guys I have to squel, whine, yelp or whatever you call that ugly annoying sound....

Tightened up my belts this morning.....

I am not used to not hearing that sound.... oh well :D

Thanks again guys :waving:

9. cj3859

cj3859 Member

squeal like a pig!

fastest way to find which belt is squealin is a can of belt dressing while the things running,do one at a time and you'll know which belt it is.