1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You have to be kidding me!!!!

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by firelwn82, Jan 16, 2007.

1. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I used my 810 for the second time today. Plowing along 10 MPH and hit a man hole sticking out of the ground. Blade trips and comes back up, no problem. Go to the next job and start plowing doing an awesome job. Back drag the 16 ft garage door space and its leaving a trail. ?????? :confused: Its never done this before. So I get out and look to see whats up. The frickin cutting edge is busted, snaped right off. at one of the bolts.:realmad: 10MPH hour, blade tripped like it was supposed to and everything. Unbelievable. I have been plowing for 4 years and have hit things harder than this, Not on purpose of coarse but it happens. I was wondering if this is going to be covered under the warranty? Or am I going to get the pucker factor out of this???? Maybe the King Jerry could chime in on this. Once again I'm not pleased, first with the half assed install and now this. Whats next??? :realmad: :cry:
  2. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

damn that sucks. first plow of the season today but i didnt break anything, got a couple drives done. not alot of snow out there right now. i did take a big chunk out of my grandpas lawn though. patched it as good as i could, he'll still be pissed. :cry:
  3. carcrz

carcrz Senior Member

I'm guessing it'll come out of pocket. I always figure it never hurts to ask though. Sometimes the dealer has surprised me. It may have been a defect in the metal.
  4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Maybe it was defective material. I've hit some manholes pretty good on some new lots and others that I always went over with the urethane and have not had a problem yet--knock on wood. I keep getting out to see if it's broken or bent, so far so good.

Sorry to hear that.
  5. firelwn82

Anyone have any info for me??
  6. nickPSD

nickPSD Member

Over the last few years, there have been a few cases of this happening, If I remember right, the general concensous was that the factory uses to hard of a metal in the scraper edge. :nono: I think most of the new ones dont have that problem. I havent had it on mine yet
  7. LON

LON Senior Member

Afraid this one is going to come out of pocket. Unless you send the blade away for testing it will be marked as abuse. I've seen blades shatter before, one shearing out of the center and sent through a parked car on the opposite side of the road.
  8. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

You could try driving at 5mph. :D

Just kidding.... First time ive heard of this happening. Perhaps just bad luck, maybe the steel cutting edge had a flaw in it. Dont know.

Contact Blizzard, see what they say.
  9. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Talk to your dealer. A good dealer may get it replaced under warranty. I know a fellow that had a 810 two years ago got one replaced at no charge. When my plow was new 3 years ago I hit a cover and put a bend in the center of the cutting edge but it hasnt broke yet.
    And speaking of busted cutting edges, ask any owner of the Boss V plows if they have broken any edges. We broke 4 so far with our V plow.Old style edges.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  10. firelwn82

I have heard that about the Boss edges. Never heard about it on any Blizzard and I had researched them for 2 years before I purchased it.
  11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your situation. Not sure where you did you your reseach but it was discussed (maybe not here at the #1 visted industry site) several times last season. It had seemed to to be more with the T-1 edges but the mild steel was doing the same thing.

I am running 3 - 810's and 1- 8611 LoPro all in trucks that go out loaded with salt during an event. I know they have hit things as we all do and to date over the past three season I hve not have one edge come back damaged.
  12. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

probably an inclusion in the steel---call blizzard and ***** up a storm

TRUE TURF LAWN Senior Member

this happened to me last year i toke a chunk out of the middle of the cutting edge, they covered that but they did't cover my wing that got bent.
  14. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I drive a 450 with a 8611 and I have about put my self threw the windshield befor and havent broke a cutting edge yet :D
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Had the same thing happen to me last winter on the third snowfall, and this will surely be coming out of your pocket. I was told that Blizzard will not cover it because "its not meant to hold up to the force of hitting a blunt object", and that "this happens to every cutting edge if you run into something with it". I have run both Western and Boss before, been plowing for almost 11 years and have never had this happen to either one of these brands. I think that it is a defect in the factory cutting edges that Blizzard does not want to admit too or pay for. Why should they care, they already got your money. Besides its been discussed on here more than once about the horse sh*t customer service Blizzard has.
  16. cowboysfan

cowboysfan Junior Member

Hey apple man should I , I guess not.:nono:
  17. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Be thankful that the edge broke and you didn't do damage to the plow or frame.
  18. appleman

appleman Junior Member

19. firelwn82

I would be the first to admit if I was doing something wrong in my truck. I don't move over 15 very often. Its quite impossible really. You cant see anything with all the powder blowing back at you. I was doing 10 mph when I hit that man hole.
  20. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I was, I was doing about 10mph when I hit the water shut. My point is that I have been doing 10mph with other brands of plows and never had a problem.