1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You guys with 4x4 Dumps (F350, F450, F550) ever get stuck?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Emerscape, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

Just wondering if you guys with 4x4 dumps ever have traction problems in four wheel drive? Let me elaborate. Last night I used my f450 for the first time since selling my Dodge Ram 2500 so I was not very familiar with the way the truck would perform. I hade 4 wheel drive engaged but no weight in the truck and a 9' fisher plow on the front. I had a ton of problems with a foot and a half of snow and eventually got stuck on a small decline. Im pretty sure my 4x4 was working because when i turned sharp it would jump (u know what i mean) a little. Is it just the simple fact that I need wieght in the back of the truck or do u think there is somethign wrong with my 4x4?? thanks for the help in advance

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

its not a dump truck but we have a F-550 with an 11' service body on it, and that thing weighs alot. Theres no plow on it so it does well in snow but put that thing in a little mud and you better have chains and a backhoe handy. The stock tires on the 4x4 stink, you'd be best off getting a new set.

3. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

thats weird.. my 450 does great in the mud.. unloaded and fully loaded no problems in the mud.. but snow wa a different story

4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I'd say you need some weight in the dump. Dual rear wheels really spread out the weight, plus a 9' fisher weighs down the front. Any truck is gonna have some issues trying to push 1.5' of snow all at once. Try putting 1000-1500 lbs in the back see what happens. Good tires also make a huge difference. I had issues with my traction because of my tires, and that was with 800 lbs behind the rear axle. You can always use low range too.

5. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

yeah i was using low range..the tires are near new.. maybe it was just the conditions. I never got stuck with my dodge but then again it wasnt a dually

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of tires and you need weight, and a bunch of it. I'd go with a ton on a 450, you will be able to push a foot and a half with no problems.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

my buddy was having big problems last night in his f350/mason with 1.5ton of ballast too.

8. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

If you don't have the ford continentals Max trax tires, then you will get stuck, escpecially without weight. I always order the 550's with all six Max Trac tires and when they wear I put on Goodyears 124's. Though, I heard good things about Michelin. Also, do you have posi traction, that helps too.

9. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

I have the goodyears 124s on the back but not sure what the front is.. front does not have any aggressive tread, more of a highway tire i guess. Not sure about the rear end but impretty sure its not a posi

10. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

did you try

Hi,
    Not sure if you checked...but, do you have the hubs locked in?

11. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Just a follow up. I thought this storm was very slippery. All the blowing snow got packed and became very slippery without looking slippery. Salt could not keep up with all the snow we got. It was just a slippery storm until the wind and snow slowed down.

12. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

Our f550 only gets stuck on side of the road. (not running) Which is more often than when running.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We have a Dodge 3500 with the 124's on the rear and just ribs on the front, have been running it this way for years, and very seldom do we have a problem with traction. It has a very, very heavy bed though.

I still think more weight is the answer. Sometimes when it is very icy underneath, there is nothing you can do unless you have really good tires, like Cooper M&S's, but weight can overcome a lot of problems. Just look at the municipal trucks. Other than very snowy and\or hilly areas, they are all 2WD with a lot of weight in them and look how much snow they can move. We have a F800 and a F750 as well that are 2WD that can push as much or more snow than a 4WD pickup with the same size blade. But they are loaded up with 7-8 tons of salt.

14. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

what kind of problems you having with the thing?...I love our F-550 with the 7.3 in it.

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

The General tires just plain suck in the snow!!!!! Try going with the Cooper or the Michelin. Better tires along with the proper balast will go a long way.

I am currently trying Coopers on one truck and the Michelins on another(fronts only) to see what works best.

Another option is go to a good commercial tire Co. and ask them if they have a siping tool and see if they can make your tire more agressive.

xde-ms.jpg

16. rob1325

rob1325 Senior Member

Let us know what you like better. I would be very interested in your findings.

17. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

needs ballast

i run a 9 ft fisher mm 2 also on a 2003 f-350 6.0 diesel.a loaded sander makes a big difference & good tires are always a must. go to the fisher web site, they will tell you how much ballast needed for different trucks w/ different plow sizes. i think your'e set up calls for about half a ton.wesport

18. Travel'n Trees

Travel'n Trees Member

The computer, cam shaft sensor, transfer case, fuel pump rear end, fuel line fuel rail, injectors, transmission, air filter box, turbo, 3000 miles, a crappy warranty, no customer service. At least it has made it farther than the 6.0. Mileage, driving speeds are un bearable on highway.

19. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Dude you need two tons of weight in the back of it. Any of the small dump trucks need that much weight. I pushed 18 of the 21 hours I was out in 2wd and we got 20". The F-350 dump proved itself this storm.

20. earnies2

earnies2 Senior Member

I almost never use 4 wheel drive its all about the weight, between the utility box all my tools and the sander with only about 1 yard of s&s for balast no problem....you should never use low range its to easy to break somthing and you should never spinn your tires their is no traction in spinning..just my .02:gunsfiring: :eek: