1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You guys that have the new Boss wings, How do you like them??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Makndust, Dec 27, 2006.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Just wondering if they are worth the $$$. I have been playing around with the idea, but don't want to put any extra strain on my V plows. I have one 9'2" poly V and 2 8'2" steel V's. I was thinking about putting a set on one of the 8'2" V's and see how they do. I don't want to spend 500 + for a set that will end up in the scrap pile though.

2. jryden145

jryden145 Member

We have them on all three of our plows. I like them a lot, however i just bent one on the my truck. The wings save us alot of time so i will be replacing or repairing the bent wing.

J

3. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

This is the first year that I had the BOSS wings on one of my plows, I have tried the PRO wings before and the BOSS wings blow them away!. Much better built, easily removable and a nice thick rubber edge. I spent over 700 on mine with shipping and installation, but they were well worth it already on my straight blade when it comes to cleaning long rows in the condos. Probably saved me an hour on just that one job.

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There great, worth every penny.
    This is our second year with them, no bends or cracks.

jryden145, What did you do to bend one?

I

5. BobC

BobC Senior Member

Why put wings on 7'6" ??? Use 8" 9" 10" foot Boss plows. I use a 9'2" power V no wings.

6. SpruceLandscape

I put wings on a 7'6 because I have a lot of driveways that I do with this plow. Its nice to not have to worry too much about getting through small gates and near close houses. Thats why I love these wings so much because in about 50 seconds my plow goes from 7'6 to 9'4, plus it weighs much less than a bigger plow when the wings are on. Not that it makes much difference, but its another added bonus. One more thing... the rubber on the wings doesn't tear up the grass if you accidentally catch an edge, unlike with a normal cutting edge.

7. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

They are great. on my 9.2, easy on easy off and cut my time down by over 50%. This is the second year with no problems. There is an update on the mounts ware Boss thickened the uper locking hole to reduce the ware. and with the smart cutting edge you have to carve a little on the rubber cutting edge to get them to fit. The rubber cutting edge on the wings does not damage curbs.

8. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I was pushing snow into what looked like a snow bank but, was a fronzen pile of dirt. I know kinda stupid but what are you gonna do.

J

Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I use a 8.2 Boss V plow and with the wings it is 10.5. wide. It makes a very good plow into a efficient snow moving tool with the wings on, thats why..

Just wondering. I've hit a couple of things pretty hard with mine also. ;)

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

One of the best things I have ever bought! If you do purchase them, you will be very happy. I havent heard one complaint from any person yet! :waving:

11. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Western Wings on a Boss 8.2V Poly

All, I looked at both Western and Boss wings, I liked the look and feel of the Westerns over the Boss.
    Boss costs were about 100 over Western.
    Install took about an hour each side......
    Waiting for snow to try them out...

Al

DSCF1956 (2).JPG

DSCF1954 (2).JPG

12. BobC

BobC Senior Member

SnowFarmer no need to yell. SpruceLandsapes need to get thru small gates with a small plow and truck makes sense. I was speaking of accounts where you need a large plow and there is nothing wrong with a 8'2" with wings but bet the 10' power V is very efficient without getting out and putting wings on. It's all a matter of application and preference, that's why I chose 9'2" so I between the 2.

13. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

They are well worth the money. I spent 700 on mine and would do it again. I only use them once but they cut a 3 hour job to a 2 hour job. Also, I plow a storage were all the snow needs to go to the rear and out of a snow gate. This would take me forever without the wings. Thay are very well built and you can put them on and take them off in 10 seconds.

14. DESTEFANO3782

DESTEFANO3782 Senior Member

How Are They When Your Trying To Windrow Snow??? Do They Still Let The Snow Roll Off At Higher Speeds Of Are They Keeping The Snow Contained???

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The snow curls off of the wings and is thrown farther.

The wings work great a picking up your windrow from the last pass also and moving it over again and again.

16. SpruceLandscape

check out the pics of my wings on a 7'6. just posted these pics in another thread

trucks 003.jpg

17. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

Do the boss wings come off the plow straight or are they angled? Also, how are they attached?

18. SpruceLandscape

they are angled forward about 20 degrees or so, I don't remember exactly, but its enough to make sure it scoops the snow but still lets the plow trip with no problems. They have a tube that slights into brackets on the back side of the plow with a key-way to make sure they locate correctly, then a spring loaded pin locks them in on the tip. Very simple and effective design. Install tip though. Ask anyone who has gotten them, throw the patterns away that show how to locate the brackets. Best way is to clamp the wings to the plow in the position you want them. Mark where the bracket mounting holes would be, then remove the wings and drill for the brackets that way. Also, if you have a worn cutting edge, replace it before mounting your wings!

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Boss wings.
    Increase your blade width by a full 22" at a 30° angle, these convenient plow wings attach and detach within seconds.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  20. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Hey stratford thats pretty ingenious.... Can you post a few more pics from other angles. I kinda liked the Western wings too.