1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

you gotta see this!

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Detroitdan, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

It could be hot, but someone will get a good deal! I thought it was a pretty cool video

3. Detroitdan

I checked out some of the other videos, saw one with even better functions. Way too much light for plowing, but what the heck I bid on one anyway.

4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  5. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Same material and China supplier as the Code3 stuff. Random importers pop up until Code3 sends them a legal letter. I bought the mini-bar version and thought it was mostly fine and no different the the big name except price and stickers. You still have to coat some of the mounting bolts to prevent rust.

The downside that has been discussed is in the winter they will not generate heat to help keep the ice build up down. On the flip - police and fire use the led lights and it seems fine. In my case I added two bulbs for heat that I can use and it seems to wamr the cover similair to hallogen. Well see.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

So your saying its an "unmarked" Code 3 bar with the same quality but cheaper?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  7. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

No its not the same, its a knock off, they aren't the same quality. Half the time with them you get a mix of gen 2 and gen 3 leds, There no where near as bright and good luck trying to find parts if you need. Theres no customer service what so ever either.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

oo ok, thanks. I'll stay away from them

9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

could of fooled me...................

10. scottL

Yes, same exact thing.

Another poster noted that customer support sucks ... we'll it depends on which fly-by-night out fit you bought it from. As for replacement parts ... the led switcher is from ShoMe the led's are Gen 3 but, the reflector optics are not as brilliant as Nova's Bull which is brighter than Code3. The Led's themselves are in the gen 3 ratings ( keep in mind it is a range the led works within), the pc board is clean and the circuit is clean too. Sorry but, there is no serious difference between the Code3 and these units, even the case. As for brightness they are a little brighter than a triple 50watt halogen Whelan rotator.

They are imported from the same factory in China Code3 uses, by an outfit in Texas who then middle-mans them to the places you buy them from. So, your order may take months if they do not have them in stock. Last I checked there is an outfit in Indy which was good to work with.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  11. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Do you have the name of the dealer in indy Scott?

12. scottL

13. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

These lightbars are knock offs and arnt nearly what a REAL code 3 lightbar is. Trust me people dont be fooled by these. They are china junk.

14. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

It's a Knock Off... Junk... 3rd generation my behind! that's another way to say..."I wash out in the light!" Did you guys notice on the Video that they didn't show the direct on effect just at an angle? They didn't want anybody to see that it doesn't come close to being bright.

15. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Typical Chinese reverse engineered junk. They take American sweat and ingenuity, violate our patents, use inferior parts and resell it . I wouldn't use them if you gave me one.

16. Detroitdan

Well, obviously the quality would be a concern, although my lights only are actually on and in use probably a few hours a year. Certainly not enough to justify spending over a grand for something I can only use the few times a year it snows. As far as the brightness, the LEDs are too bright to begin with. I saw a guy running down a two lane highway last year in a post-snow fog with a full amber LED bar going, no need of it at all, and he was blinding eveyone. Cars were actually stopping and going off the breakdown lane to get away from the guy.
    I use a whelen LED bar every night at work, I always use the dimmer on it after dark. I wish everybody else would, its difficult to see around a cruiser at night.

Anyway, no LED for me, I just got a Whelen Edge 12 head strobe bar.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2007
  17. scottL

Hate to tell ya' Code 3 is made in China too.

18. scottL

There not that tricky as how to best video the bars. In the states is just the common folks trying to break into selling product. These folks decided emergency lights was something for them. Hate them all you want they are in the 1watt range ( gen 3 ). I will tell you that just because a led is rated at 1watt it could look different from the next 1watt led simply due to the reflective mounting that is being used. I've seen only one lightbar that is brilliant in all conditions and it was not Code3 but, I can not remember the name anymore.

19. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Are these lights certified SAE aproved?? Those lights dont mean anything if someone hits you. Still, code 3 products are totally diffrent from the chinise knock offs and are not related in any way. and code 3 lights are aproved SAE lights.

20. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Ain't no way these are SAE.