1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You don't make money at 15.00 a drive ,but good money at 150.00 an hour!

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by grandview, Dec 6, 2008.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

So what's the difference? As they say it's not a sprint but a marathon .15.00 a drive you won't make money but if you do 10 drives an hour it's good money. So if you have 50 driveways under contract for the season and you plow 20 times for the season is that good money for a 100 hrs of work? :confused:

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

I will take the $15,000 if you dont need it:D

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

what its like 4 0r 5 out on the islands he must of been tipping them back today. Well actually you could make more money with 15 buck driveways then by the hour pay. Because with hours there is so mnay hours in a season.

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I will too but IMO you have to gross 15k/truck min to make it worth while.

5. SilkKnitter

SilkKnitter Junior Member
    from ZONE 5

If the driveway is 3 miles long and 15 feet wide then no it is so not worth it. You will not make any money or get to your other driveways before they call someone else.

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There small enough to do 10/hour.

7. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

i like $30-$50 drives better. i can get 3-4 done in an hour and not feel like im rushing. plus i actually get out of the truck to shovel unlike alot of the $10-$15 per guys. quality over quantity in my opinion, but what do i know i plow snow for a living.....well among other things.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'm not really a snow plower either. New title: Mathmatician
    Here is the formula: Saturdays 3-4" fluffy snow, 12 ft. pull back on the pusher blade, 28 single drive condo units, $480 to clear all drives, total time for job: 42 minutes.

As well, hate to plow a drive for less than $35. But the math works.

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

$15 a drive it depends on how close they are to one another, and other lots.

if they are one right beside another... not problem.... but when you have to drive 5 minuets between them ... is the issue.

i have a 40 house HOA. all 40 drive ways are 50-60 ft long, and are eary to do. push past side load grarage, push turn around spot, widen going back out.

10. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Price them a bit higher then do the "get your neighbor and both save $5"
    that way you start linking them side by side and getting your big money

someone will still call you a lowballer.

would you do the same thing for commercial properties beside each other?

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Heck yes I gave one of my commercials a discount for getting me the church next door!

12. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

thats were the term "lowballing" comes into effect. $15 per lane isn't the norm. If you take into consideration of time/expense per lane, doesn't make sense. In Ottawa, I can get $40 easy per resi.