1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

You can teach an old dog new tricks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wyldman, Jan 13, 2003.

1. wyldman

wyldman Member

I just hired a young kid to help out around the yard.He was giving me a hand to drop a plow off my truck.I was struggling to get a siezed hairpin out with my biga$$ gloves on,and he sticks his head in and says "here,let me get that for you".I figure he's gonna pull off his gloves so he can get his finger into the end of the hairpin,and give it a shot,and freeze his little fingers off (it's -23 here today with the windchill).He pulls this thing out of his pocket,pops out the pin,and walks away with a big smile on his face.He used a little fold up skate lace tightener and pulled it right out.Now why couldn't I think of that ??? Needless to say,i'll be getting myself one of those little thingy's tonight :)

He also showed my another great idea for cleaning windows on the trucks.I kinda hesitate to wash the trucks when it's this cold out as everything seems to freeze up afterwards,so usually we just grab a bucket and a squeegee and do all the windows to get the salt scum off.Well,he pulls this contraption out of his truck and proceeds to clean all the windows with it.It was a Swiffer Wet Jet.Has a cleaning cloth mounted on a soft rubber pad,and a little pump to squirt the fluid out.He had it filled with windsheild washer fluid.He keeps it in the truck at all times just for the windows.The pad is also the perfect size to clean the mirrors as well,unlike the squeegee,which is just a hair to wide.Looks like one more thing i'll be picking up tonight.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 Banned

Did he just pop out of the blue? how did he start to work for you

3. myo

myo Senior Member

He's a keeper!!! Anymore good ideas... It is always interesting to see how people get things done differently especially if it is to your benefit.

4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

One of the little creative kids that will find a solution to the things most over look or just don't think about.
    Who would have thought a thing to clean floors could get thoes mirrors clean. More so, who would have ran out to thier car & let you use it.

Pretty cool he actually steap'ed up put his 2 cents in to help the big guy. Make sure he keeps it up & isnt just ass kissing. Sounds like you got lucky & found yourself a keeper, only problem is actually keeping him... :)

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

He used to work at a local hardware store,doing small engines during the summer.He's pretty handy,all kinda of nifty little ideas.We should make a good pair :eek:

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

Sounds good, hopefully he'll stick around. Just goes to show you're never to old to learn something new.

7. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Sounds like he's the next Billy Mayes!!:p