1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"You best be ready when the five roll by"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Todd, Mar 11, 2003.

1. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

I have heard at least a half dozen counts of guys getting stopped by the state PO-lice in the last couple of days, where the cop comes up with tape measure in hand and measures the plow(s). They are ticketting anyone over 8'. I thought you could legally go 10', but I guess not. Most guys are ok, because the majority of them have 7.5's or 8 footers. The 9.2 Boss's are less than 8' in the full vee, I would imagine.

In all my years plowing (the last five of which, I have been driving around with my 7.5' Western with pro-wings - which ends up being just shy of 9.5') I have never been stopped, warned, talked to, or even looked twice at by the fuzz. What gives, I wonder? Heck, after the last storm, I had been out for about 16 hours straight and had finally finished. The roads were still pretty bad, but I just wanted to get home to my soft bed. I blew by a county sheriff at close to 70 in a 45 zone. I saw him too late and just kept my foot into it. He looked right at me, nodded and went back to his coffee and doughnut.

A buddy who is a city cop said that with all of the (Michigan) state budget cuts that have come up lately, they are probably looking for any way they can to get some extra revenue. I think that is a crummy way to go though, picking on what would seem to be an easy target.

PS: can we get a Smily face with an extended middle finger???

PPS: does anyone get my subject line?
    :D

2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

NY is doing the same thing, any plow over 8'6" has to be permitted (few are) to travel on secondary roads. The permit is in the area of $50, just a money grab like you said.

3. kawdude

kawdude Senior Member

Thats what i thought, NY limit is 102 inches.

4. flmusj

flmusj Junior Member

Commercial regs. are 102" on interstate and some secondary roads. But a lot of roads are still 96".

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

BTW Big Nate has one of those middle finger smilies he let me borrow it once for a situation i felt was assinine maybe he will let u borrow it also.

Jay

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

My Boss 9'2" V is a hair over 8ft wide,but under 8'6". It fits inside my 9 ft garage door with a 4" on each side.My western MVP isnt even close,it is under 8 ft v'd back.Like ws said,they are out to make $$. In their defense there has been a lot of guys with 9 ft straight blades ,and they drive with the blade straight,on back roads this is dangerous,they are not wide enough to pass safely.I had a close call yesterday with one,and it hasnt snowed here in over a week,but there are plows everywhere on the roads.

7. snowflake

snowflake Member

i got stopped last week by city cop. gave me stupid seat belt ticket and asked me where my city plow license was. told him i dont plow in this city so donnt need one. damn city tags are a joke anyway expically what the city if grand rapids charges per truck. but im sure sence they got cut backs so they willl stop you for aything now, just to suck more money out of you. hope this made some sence neeed coffee just woke up brain ann' t working yet. :drinkup:

8. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

They already said on the local news that they will probably counter act budget cuts with more tickets. Ill just stay on my end of the world, heck I forget the last time I say a state boy..

Although if you have listened to the news latly I would stay out of Muskegon Heights, Three officers in the past year arrested for felonies. Two road rage (off duty) and one resisting arrest (high speed chase):eek:

9. jbutch83

jbutch83 Senior Member

Snowflake,

Not sure about Michigan law, but in Indiana we are not allowed to ticket for no seatbelt in a truck. Might want to check into that. We had this come up last year in the local paper, and trucks do not fall under the seatbelt law in Indiana.

John

10. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Hawai- Five O

Check deep into your State DOT regs. Most of them have an obscure little law in there that gives an overwidth size.

The neat thing is most also after further digging have an exemption for SNOW REMOVAL EQUIPMENT. NO OVERWIDTH.

Individual cities depending on state law can impose an overwidth on there streets but not state and municipal roads.

It takes some digging but this is the way it is in PA.

I've got copies of the PA regs if any one want's the link.

Hope this helps. Jerre

11. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I guess I don't have to worry about being too wide, I'm right @8ft... and still get nervous driving down 2 lane roads where parking is allowed on the shoulder ( south street PJ )

~Nate~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2003
  12. mulchmonkey2000

mulchmonkey2000 Senior Member

Jerre, could you send me that link for PA? Thanks.:waving:

13. apkole

apkole Member

Hey Big Todd . . . .

Where are these guys being stopped . . . local city streets, expressway . . . Alpine or Plainfield Ave mebbie? This is the first I've heard of this.

As for the city license, we do buy them and display them. We are not happy with the cost, but advertise that we are licensed, so need to follow thru with purchase.

It really is just another tax, at $230 for the 1st truck and around $60 for each additional. We've been raising the dickens down at city hall about this, and they say they are re-evaluating the charges. With the city facing a budget crunch, fat chance they will back off the fees.

Andy

14. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

apkole,

From what I heard, it's been on the north side of town(Plainfield/Northland drive area and West River). And it's only been the State Troopers, out of the Rockford post.

I'm pretty sure they aren't checking plow licenses or permits because they can't do anything about them unless you are actually plowing. Permits are a whole other story though, I could go on and on about them. The only thing I will say is this: I would like to see a county permit instead of each city and township having their own. We plow in 6 different Cities or townships and to permit all of our trucks in each municipality is ludicrous.

Anyway, as far as the cops go, they are mainly checking blade widths.:rolleyes:

15. apkole

apkole Member

Thanks for the heads up, as we travel that route frequently.

Excepting one location, all of our accounts are city of GR. However, the one account in Plainfield Twp. is being serviced by a truck with 9' straight blade with pro-wings attached. Could be a problem for him.

How much $$ are those tickets costing?

I would also like to see a county wide license, but little chance of that happening as all of the municipalities are short of funds. I will say that one of my subcontractors was ticketed for no GR plow lic. last year. Turns out it is a misdemeanor offense. Can mean jail and a fine.

He managed to get the ticket dismissed, but only after he spent $230 for the plow license and about $500 for an attorney. This year he just opted for the plow license.

16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Up here in maine, it works like this.

During a storm, or a storm the boys and blue don't look at you to hard, the same with the day or the day after. However if your running around with a 9 or 10' blade on the interstate and it has been 40 for the past week, they are going to write you up.

Geoff

17. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Good point Geoff, maybe this is why i dont have any trouble , I dont drive around all winter with my plow on my truck,although my plow only trucks the plow stays on, i dont use them other than for snow.

18. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I really can't imagine being stopped while plowing. Basically, they want you out there plowing, so they can get around. A State Patrol guy lives on the end of a private road I clear. He's got his own plow and does his own driveway so he could get out if I hadn't been there, but so far I've always had it open for him.

19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

mulchmonkey, Link is www.pacode.com
    Chapter 15 covers disreguard to standard signals and driving regs while engaged in plowing. Section 179 has a tie for snowremoval exemption. Have the printed version will find the exact subsection for you. Jerre

20. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Glad we don't need tags around Lansing area... That has got to bite hard... I can see the five getting on everyone more because of budget, but not during a storm... Well, off to rest, snowing again, supposed to get around 3" and we are already over 1".... Looks like the last one, and we will have to hurry as it's supposed to be 50 degrees this weekend. Snow does not stick around for long at those temps.

Later, got to love MI, wait 5 minutes, the weather will change...