1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

yj or tj jeep for light plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sefuller, Sep 3, 2002.

1. sefuller

sefuller Junior Member

Now that I have decided to go with the Meyer plow I asked about earlier, I am having second thoughts about the vehicle. I have a very low mileage YJ Jeep, but the frame is very rusty, and I do not have the capabilities to do any repairs that may be come necessary to the frame. I am thinking of selling it and looking for one in better shape, but I really would like a TJ. Anyone have opinions on which one is easier to MOUNT a plow on? Looking at the YJ, it looks like there are not too many good places to brace the plow undercarriage, and although I have not looked under a TJ yet, I would think the coil springs as opposed to leaf would free up some frame space in the front.

Thanks,
    Scott Fuller
    Milwaukee, WI

2. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

TJ, YJ

REAL Jeeps have LEAF SPRINGS, and tough as nails T-90 crash box trannies, and two sticks for the transfer case and to engage the 4WD. And a long stroke 4 banger, 5.38 to 1 axle gears, coupled with 2.05 to 1 low range transfer case. Try to out pull that one !

3. Sndun

Sndun Member

While Tommy10Plows is 100% right, I have a TJ that is my everyday driver with a SnoWay. Four bolts is all that it takes to hang the mount. It was my first time installing a plow and it went smoothly. (How often can one say that?) :realmad: :drinkup:

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

How rusted is the frame? A little surface rust is not a big deal. Is it rusted through?