1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

YJ cutting out over 4000 rpms

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by ppandr, Dec 16, 2008.

1. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

My 94 YJ with 2.5, 5 speed....is cutting out over 4000 rpms almost as if it has a rev limiter it also is bogging at very low rpms. Never had an issue with this motor and has had regular PM with new plugs, wires, fuel filter, and replaced soft lines from gas tank.
    Thinking injectors may need cleening or replacing but cutting out is really baffling me.
    Any thoughts....

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How old is the fule filter. ignition module?

3. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Fuel filter is brand new as off two days ago. Did find a vac leak which I fixed today. Still same issue. Ign. module has not been replaced since I bought it. Runs great from 1500-4000 rpms. I plowed with it last night for a few hours and did not quit on me once. Seems to be running rich at idle... did I say 175,000 miles so it does not owe me anything....wesport

4. festerw

festerw Senior Member

If you figure it out let me know my Dad's 95 has been doing the same thing for the last 2 years. We've checked and replaced all the parts that we think could cause the problem and had 3 mechanics look at.

Only thing that seems to help is leaving it on a trickle charge all night, still did it with a new battery and alternator.

5. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Lots of error codes but I am replacing the MAP sensor today...hopefully it works cause its gonna be a long weekend....payup

6. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Ended up being a leak in the vacume line from the MAP. Had a crack in the boot under the steering shaft. 3" of flex line and back in business. I had checked all lines prior but did not see until removing MAP.

What codes is it throwing?

7. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Not throwing any codes, that was the first thing we checked and replaced the problem parts and still have issues.