1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

yj big plow?

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by Dr.Peanut, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Dr.Peanut

Dr.Peanut Junior Member

I have a 1995 yj that I am looking to install a big plow. I have a few large account and I don't really need nor do I want another vehicle. My jeep is lifted with 4" suspension lift. Has 35" super swampers which I will put smaller tires on if I plow. Probably the factory 27's. It has detroit lockers front and rear. I believe the rear is a "nospin" and the front is :confused: . Anyway gears and full floating dana 30 and dana 35. I believe my weak point is going to be my shackles and frame. But with new solid shackles and good plow mount fabrication I will be fine.

Here is my question, I really want to go with a vplow. I like the western handheld controller and I like snoway's plow systems. Either plow will sufice. It is apparently hard to find a mount for my jeep for a new plow, I have been looking. Let alone a plow that is "too big" for the jeep. Any help on which mount would work the best or be easiest to fabricate to it? I hate to be picky but I was hoping for the ultramount or whatever snoways quick mount is with the spring loaded pins, and oh yes poly with trip edge. :)

I saw plowmeister's avatar and I read the signature. Interesting set up hopefully you got some good suggestions.

Thanks, Brian

2. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

A more or less stock Jeep (YJ, TJ, XJ, etc) will be limited in the size of plow that can be installed. A lifted Jeep will give you limitations on plow mounts unless they are custom tweaked.

Fran

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The right tool for the job... The jeep is great in small places, I think you'll find it lacking for big accounts. too light and not going to take the abuse of doing a big lot (or even a medium lot) The jeep is only a 1/4 ton truck

the D35 is a Little week for large lots
    Used to be (in the 1950s) that the rear ends where designed to last for 25 miles at full load. That is 25 miles at maximum torque. So pushing a load of snow down a parking lot will use up the rear end.

What gears are you running?

also a problem will be stopping that much plow. the Jeep brakes aint up to the task.

I ran with a fisher 7 1/2 RD (now it's called a HD 7 1/2) for 20 years just add air shocks and #500 ballast. that plow weighs in at #630.

If you must;

Boss has the lightest V plow at #700 you will have to make your own mount. the stock Jeep frame wont last long with a plow that big (you'll need to beef up the frame) nor will your F end parts (just a part of doing business).

with a vehicle that light traction will be a problem, so you'll need exelent snow tires , Blizzak.

For what you want to do with it, I dont think the jeep is the right tool

JMO

4. ppandr

ppandr Senior Member

Windrow a few passes in heavy snow and when your moving your jeep to the side and not the snow you'll wish you had a much bigger truck..... We only use ours for small tight lots.

5. Dr.Peanut

Dr.Peanut Junior Member

The axles are modified and are full floating axles. Warn offers the set up, with chrome molly axles. 4.10 and 4.11 gears. The lockers are mechanical and do not unlock most of the time. So doing small accounts are harder to do because steering in tight areas is not there.

6. Dr.Peanut

Dr.Peanut Junior Member

Sorry was at work for last post.

Just any help on the mount would be useful. Which is the most generic ultramount and would be the most flat or require the least amount of cutting?

7. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

I run a ST-7 Meyer 7 foot plow on one of my YJ's great for small to medium lots.

8. theplowmeister

from MA

Fisher used to make a 6 1/2 for the jeep (NON MM), the truck side mount would fit ALL of the RD and HD plows.
    I know YJ fisher mounts are hard to find, if you can find one a 7 1/2 or 8 ft plow will fit the jeep mount.

9. 89MJComanche

89MJComanche Member

You still have a TURDY5 for a rear though!!

10. theplowmeister

from MA

Nice..... BUT the housings and the ring and pinion are still stock.

as ppandr says after a couple of windrows the snow will push the jeep.

Just my experiance... Ive plowed with Jeeps for 23 years.

thats why I spent the money for ARBs

11. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Jeeps are actually sturdy lil critters, but I only use it minimumly and with short passes.

C.

12. theplowmeister

from MA

I agree I've had 4 Jeeps they ALL plowed DRIVEWAYS. One had 250K miles when I sold it, My current Jeep has 123K miles. Just remember it's a 1/4 ton truck. Plowing will wear it out, just a cost of doing business.

They are fun though