1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

yikes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by k brown, Feb 25, 2006.

1. k brown

k brown Junior Member
    from ontario

had a bit of a scare tonight. snowblowing customers laneway when the snowblower gets stuck, look down and there is an extension cord wrapped all through the auger. to make matters worse the cord goes into a locked garage and nobody`s home.the wires all frayed and i can see bare wire so i try loosening it with a stick and the sparks start flying! finally get the wire broken off, so all i can do is tape the wire`s and leave a note in the customers door.
    who leaves a live extension cord buried in the snow?????:angry:

2. zapster

zapster Member

hopefully there was a g.f.i. breaker in the basement:eek:
    ...zap!

3. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Who leaves a cord buried in the snow, so the plow guy can run over it. Why, people with no common sense, that's who.

4. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I did that once!:blush2: It was about Christmas time and I had a cord running to a tree with lights. I was snowblowing by it and wrapped the cord all in the auger. It was not live, but took about an hour to untangle!:dizzy:

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I did that last year at a place I'd done for several years. Lady wanted me to plow a little extra trail from the house to an outbuilding where she was keeping livestock. She even showed me where she wanted plowed. Unfortunately, she also ran an extension cord down the path from the house to the outbuilding. First I knew about it was when I saw it shredded and on top of the pile. I have no idea how she thought an extension cord would win a fight with a snowplow.

6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Someone who owns a vehicle with a block heater might leave a cord out.
    One place I do with loading docks have the trucks pluged in at night. The cords are laying all over the place.
    Todd

7. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I have a cord outside, but I coil it up when not in use, or if I'm expecting snow and plowing.

8. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

A few years ago i was blowing some deep snow and hit a log spliter that was left by a shop and was all snow covered...The auger hit it...chewed the carb off... spark plug ripped off and the fuel tank
    The same year and the same farm...they wanted the padock area done...guess what i grabed this time in the 8' blower...A black rubber feed bucket...I had the sucker so jammen in ther i had to burn it out with a torch
    Last thing that i grabed in ther was a garden hose...LOL
    O we all have are fun times out there:waving:

9. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

my first drive i ever did plowing i destroyed an extension cord. told the owner i was sorry and thats about it. wasnt going to pay for it since they shouldnt have left it in the drive to begin with.

10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping PlowSite.com Addict

I have that problem covered...well sort of!

I make sure to indicate to the customer to clean extension cords, toys, yard decorations, etc off of any areas that they have me clear. I also indicate that I am not liable for damage if they don't do this. I think its common curtosey or something along those lines...

11. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

I would have cut the cord, then unwrapped it from the auger. "No line is safe to touch - ever!"
    (You would only get that if you were from Maine.)
    -Thann

12. Tri-County INC.

Tri-County INC. Member

J&R Landscaping I have that problem covered...well sort of!

I make sure to indicate to the customer to clean extension cords, toys, yard decorations, etc off of any areas that they have me clear. I also indicate that I am not liable for damage if they don't do this. I think its common curtosey or something along those lines...

SO DID WE, OR AT LEAST THOUGHT WE DID, LAST YEAR GUY THAT WORKED FOR US DECIDED THAT HE WANTED TO DO HIS MOTHER IN LAWS DRIVE, WELL NEEDLESS TO SAY HE RIPPED THE CORD RIGHT OUT OF THE WALL, AND DIDNT TELL HER ( NICE SON IN LAW ) LADY WHEN OUT SIDE TO PLUG IN LIGHTS AND GOT A NICE JOLT. ANYWAYS NEIGHBORS SAW OUR TRUCK THERE AND CALLED POLICE, WHEN ALL THIS WHEN TO COURT WE ALMOST HAD TO PAY, UNTIL THE AHOLE SAID THAT HE WAS DOING IT ON HIS OWN TIME, WITHOUT OUR PROMISION... WE HAD NO IDEA HE HAD BEEN DOING THIS..... GUESS WHAT? HE WILL NEVER WORK FOR US OR ANYONE AGAIN...WHAT A LOSER:nono:

13. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Some people????

One of my customers that i have been plowing for 5 years the same way decided this year that the place i always push the snow would be a good place for a stack of 4x4's. The first storm was a 1' event and i found them right away, no damage was done to my truck however now i try to avoid pilling snow there (a real pita). The weather warmed and all the snow melted before the next storm but they did not move them and still have not moved them ,but now I just keep pushing them back little by little , a couple of more storms and they should be out of the way. Just my own thinking is if I saw that the plow guy hit them i would move them .

14. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

XLR8 Do you think they will bich that you damaged them? Just a thought! Have fun playing in he stuff tomorrow--looks like we may only get an inch

15. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

Douglas

No I don't think they will complain . I think the are just using them to hold up chicken wire around the garden. Any how they know I always push there. And yes should be plowing tonight now they are calling for 3-6 in my area payup