1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yet Another V box Vs. Under tailgate spreader question.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a new dump truck http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=24323 and I am going to have to put a spreader in it. some of my thought's are;

Why would I want to buy a V-box over a under tailgate spreader ?

A v box almost twice the price :eek: , Is a any better ?

The V-box looks like a pain yet I see WAY MORE v-box's out there (in dump trucks), Why ?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated :nod:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

As well as under tailgate they also make tailgate replacement which will give you a higher ground clearence for the spinner.
    The biggest advantage for a tailgate spreader is the room in the box when not salting. Smaller to store and easier to repair as there are less parts. When the box is full of salt you still can't see out the back window. You will have to drive around with the box atleast 1/2 way up. This is fine on straight runs but as you have to turn corners the load will cause the box to rock which is really hard on they box and ram. With the box up, the spinner is lower to the ground and the spread pattern is not as good. To lower the box back down to spread is slow and the box does not fall quickly as you have now shifted the weight to the back of the box.

3. heliski989

heliski989 Member
    from mi

v box

i have a down easter v box if your intrested holds 12-16000 # give me a call 248 863 7706

4. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Grassbusters -

Safe to say that the dump box isn't an electric over hydraulic? If we were to assume that you had central hydraulics, the under tailgate spreader is the way to go. Once the unit is installed for the up and coming snow season, you can still utilize the dump bed for other operations with the unit in place and leave it on until the end of the season. Just like cet stated, it's a lot easier to store and maintain than a V-box. It's certainly easier to clean out after every salt run. Unless you go with a hydraulic V-box, you still need to gas it up every so often. Additionally, you'll be able to legally carry more weight, due to the fact that the under tailgate spreader would be a lot lighter than a correctly sized V-box for your F-450. Of course we are talking about 500 pounds or less, but that difference could be two 7-Eleven or bank parking lots for instance.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

5. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks guys

So there are no major down falls to having a under tailgate, and if I have central hydraulics it's the way to go ;)

Thanks again

- Eric

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have clutch pump for my hydraulics. I did not like the under tailgate and I have a dual flow Swenson spreader. You should look at the tailgate replacement salters at www.bonnell.com if you are looking for a tailgate model.

7. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

Vbox will go from 1 truck to another in a half an hour or less .

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Matt
    That is if it is a gas model. I think he is looking for hydraulics.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You do not have to salt with the box half way up, in fact unless you are doing a large lot, I would recommend against it. You can raise the box up, fill the 'hopper' and continue on salting. It works quite nicely.

If you only have 1 or 2 trucks and you need this to haul other materials in the winter, you can not go wrong with a tailgate spreader because of the versatility. We are using ours constantly in the winter for hauling our dormant pruning materials back and in 5 minutes we can be using it for salting.

I prefer the lower clearance that our tailgate spreader has because it does a better job of keeping the material out of beds, grass, etc., and on the lot where we want it.

I would also highly recommend getting a dual auger spreader, it does much better at breaking up the clumps of salt, not all of them, but a lot.

10. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Grassbusters truck looks like it has a 9 foot dump box and you aren't going to take a properly outfitted V-box for that truck and stick it in another truck in a half hour or less.

First off you wouldn't put a 3 plus yard V-box in a standard pick up due to the fact that those boxes are usually over 8 feet long. Secondly, for his F-450, you would opt for an extended chute on that V-box to contain the spread pattern a little better than a standard chute. So the added cost to keep around a short chute for those times when you might have to swap the V-box into another truck is a waste of money. Finally, with a box that large, I wouldn't even think about putting that into a standard pick up even if it was to be filled half way with salt.

I'm a big believer in properly outfitting a piece of equipment for all of my applications. You look professional compared to some of the hodge podge set ups on the road. You will cast a positive image to others when they see your rig on the road or in action. Also, you can save yourself a lot of potential headaches if you size your equipment for future operations or the job at hand instead of over working under sized equipment.

Just my .02¢
    Rick

11. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

I have had my gas v box for 12 years , it has been in a 1969 chevy c 20 , a 1982 chevy c 30 flat bed , a 1988 f 350 utility , a 1993 f 350 dually , and currently in a an international low profile with a utility .And bought a second v box for the 1993 f 350 . With side extentions the IH carries 3 and a half tons . The ford carries a bit over a ton. I can remove or install either one in less than a half hour . They work well for me