1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another question about Blizzard...

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Brian Young, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I was reading a older post about the Blizzard plows rusting like none-other. I realize steel plows will rust over time but I've seen steel plows that plow commercially look as good as new 2-3 years later and I know if ya take care of them they should look and perform like new for years. But I was reading how just after 1 or 2 years they start to look 5+ years old. A friend of mine has 2 and the one he bought new is only 2 years old but man it looks rough! But the post also read that Blizzard was working on that problem and I was wondering if there is any truth to that or not. I sure as hell don't want to spend $4600.00 for a plow that will look like crap in a year or two when I could spend another few hundred bucks to get my stainless steel Fisher V. Any feedback is appreciated.

2. Brian Young

Come on guys, all these people with Blizzard plows and no one can help? lol.

3. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I bought mine in Oct. of last year. Everytime I finshed plowing last year the truck, and the plow got pressure washed and scubbed down. To answer you question my Blizzard 810, after one season (a very light season) looks in about the same shape as my Western did after about five seasons.

4. ram1500

ram1500 Member
    from ma

The Blizzard did have problems with the paint a few years ago. The paint has come a long way the last couple of years and they hold up very well now. I have a couple of guys that have the stainless steel fishers and have had the x braces rust in the back of the plow and rust right through the stainless steel molboard. Plows all rust. But rust does not stop them from working.

5. SnowGuy73

My Blizzard 810 is a 2006 model, so for me personally this is not true as far as the paint being better. Inless it was really really bad years ago.

6. Brian Young

I realize plows will rust especially if their not taken care of but again I hate to spend 5k on a plow that will be taken care of and still look like a piece of junk in a year or two. The plow he has there is brand-new and the back of the plow below the motor assembly is already rusted in 3- 3"-4" sections. He said thats from shipping but its only been sitting out side for I'm guessing a couple of weeks, and it looks that bad already? Some of you guys might think I'm being ridiculous but I think your image is important as well. I would rather pull into a potential customer's lot to meet with them and having my equipment look clean and professional instead of a rusted beat up looking plow. Just my .02 cents.:waving:

7. SnowGuy73

Sounds to me like you are 100% right.

8. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

I can agree on your equipment looking good. But I have 2 blizzards (810). Neither are rusted or look like sh*t. It all comes down to taking care of them. Washed after each storm and one is stored in a garage while the other sits on the truck all winter. But come on a plow is a plow if it operates it makes money and I think the blizzard wing advantage over a little rust is worth every penny.

9. Brian Young

Well yeah a plow is a plow but like I said, 5k is a lot of money to spend on something that looks like crap in a season or two, maybe your is the exception. JUST MY OPINION! I went with the Fisher Extreme V SS anyway. I guess I look at it like this....I just spent 30k on a new truck and if it rusts out in 3-5 years I'm gonna be pissed, but if there is a little spot in 10 years then, well, I can understand that. But enough of me rambling on, Good plow'in:waving:

10. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Let me know how you like that plow this year. If blizzard made a SS version I would sell both in a heart beat.

11. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

Mine is rusting but I fix it easy enough with some prep work and paint.

12. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

mine has some rust more than i would like to see for a one year old plow. but its mostly on the moving areas and a couple weld spots. the blizzard rep told me they have a new process for paint that fixes this problem. im guessing since there now being made with fisher and western the paint will be just as good as those. as for operation cant beat the 810 in a parking lot saved so much time i can deal with some rust spots.

jeff

13. truckie36

truckie36 Member

For the most part, it looks worse than it is. small rust spot = much larger rust stain on the white paint. Get a couple cans of Krylon and touch up as necessary.

14. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

The plow could come with NO PAINT, NO STICKER as long as it plows 30% more work as I have seen all four of mine do I will still by them, well maybe not depending on how DD messes with them.

As far as my Client seeing my plow. I do not just drive around with my plow mounted to go to a Client meeting so they can see I have a plow. When they show up after a storm and the lot is clean and wet Curb to Curb that is what I want them to see and my Blizzards do that with increase profit by 1/3 per truck. With those $$$ going to the directly to the bottom line I will just BUY NEW PLOW every couple of years and still make more $$$$ than someone with anything but a Blizzard. When the Blizzard is mounted and moving snow the Client is at home in bed sleeping nice and warm. They are not thinking, WOW, that plow looks GREAT!! Kind of also goes to the if he has a nice new plow he must be good......WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So here is my advice.... DO NOT BUY A BLIZZARD THEY LOOK UGLY in just a couple of years. Save $1000.00 on a plow that will look great for years as that is how long you will have to plow with it just to pay it off.

Brian,

Next time you ask Blizzards owners for adivce about Blizzard, why not just tell us want you want to hear and we can all just post "ditto" and move on as they is what you did here.

Thanks

15. Ice Scream

Ice Scream Member

When I bought my Blizzard 810, I was not very pleased with it. It has grown on me, but it still has problems that they have not and will not fix. The rusting on the back edges, right away made me upset, but that was a minor problem. I don't think they rust any worse then any other plow, it just shows up more since they are white.

16. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I agree. I have had my Blizzards for 2 years now, they look used. We run them pretty hard all winter. I never wash them off or clean them. In the spring I take my drill and wire wheel, brush off the spots and spray them with Tremclad white. I can't say that they are worse off than other plows I have had. I figure, another year or two and I can sandblast the thing all down and repaint it. I am concerned about image too, my trucks here cost me $45,000 each, I want the plow to look good. But more than that I want a plow that makes more money so I can pay for the nice trucks. Honestly, I could throw them in the garbage in the spring and buy new ones every year for the extra money they make me.

17. chevyshovelin

chevyshovelin Junior Member

shop elseware

Yes they rust like crazy, My blizz just one yr old this month ,all four springs rusted along with plow,and yes it was washed ,waxed, lubed, and garage kept. blizzard plows suck and i should of stuck with fisher,I cannot say a bad thing about fisher plows but i saved a whopping 500 bills, all of blizz controlers are crap, I have gone through 2 controlers allready when the on off button on the side of the joystick popped out,also the undercarriage frame sits to low to the ground,plow does not stack good due to top raise height,its also about 200lbs to heavy.
    only 1 year warranty, rips up lawns like crazy due to its poor bulldozer like design.the two holes where the pins insert are rounding out almost a 1/2 inch larger from when new, and only one light season so far! maybe after this season i will fill my chemical sprayer with 2 gallons of sae 10w40 and spray her down for the summer mnths:realmad: ...get a fisher.

18. Brian Young

So what your saying is I can't ask a simple honest question and hope for some honest answers before buying a 5k peice of equipment. Bye the way thanks to everyone for the honest answers. And yeah, I would rather spend the extra money to NOT have a plow thats a year old look like its 5 years old! IMO when a peice of equipment starts to rust considerably fast, that leads into problems down the road and my solution would be not to just keep buying new ones every 3 years.

19. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

Brain,

Good Luck with your one truck, one plow operation. In the event you gain some vision in business should you be lucky enough to grow you will quickly be looking for ways to do lots more with lots less. Than you might just have a different view on what your potentional fleet might look like. Easy to have a one track mind when you are a one man shop.

As metioned, I owned a V plow and personally witness the difference in production side by side against a 810. I would love to have all of my snow equipment be made of SS but even SS get surface rust on it and that does not mean "it is leading to bigger problems down the road". Just something to think about.

Chev,

I am sure there are a handfull of guys in upsate that would take the P.O.S. Blizzard off your hands fo you can have the Fisher you desire. If you want to deliver it to Chicago I would buy it.

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Brian, I know it is too late because you bought a Fisher, but maybe Ron is a little frustrated (I know I am) because this stupid, assinine issue comes up every year. Another ridiculous one is the stickers falling off after the first snow. As long as the issue is not one of function, does it really matter if the plow gets rusty, especially since it is in damp, moist, salty conditions and then sits for 6 months out of the year. Especially, especially when there is no other truck mounted plow as productive as a Blizzard plow?

This is fact, not opinion. The money you save on actual plowing, you can blast and repaint the freaking plow every year and still be money ahead.

He might be a little frustrated (as I am) about the fact that you started something like 3 different threads on what plow to buy. You asked some good questions and had them answered, but this went on and on. It's your plow, your money, gather information in 1 thread and go spend your money on what you think is best suited for your situation. If you don't like what you are hearing, quit asking more questions on the negatives about 1 brand of plow, especially when all these issues have been discussed ad nauseum and you can do a search and read through them. JMO