1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another plow ID question.

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by ottodog, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ottodog

ottodog Junior Member

Just purchased an old plow truck with a Western plow and I'm trying to ID it. The A frame is trashed and just looking for options for repair. Looking at the plow A frame I'm thinking that it might not even be a Western, but something someone had fab'd up. Not real sure about the quad either.

Any help or advise will be greatly appreciated!

Chris

DSC_0929[1].jpg

DSC_0930[1].jpg

DSC_0932[1].jpg

DSC_0933[1].jpg

2. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

howdy,
    yes, that's a Western. It's what they call a conventional mount, where the power unit and lights stay on the truck when you drop the blade, and you have quick couplers on the hoses. It's also the older style blade (what I call the '70s blade) from before there was a standard and pro. Some of those parts started being discontinued the last few years. the part number on the a-frame would be 23936 and the quadrant would be a 23862, but they were discontinued in 2008. You might find somebody that still has stock that they want to clearance out, otherwise just have to weld them up as best you can.
    hopefully you got more than what you show in your pics. unless you already have a mount, power unit, lights, control, wiring, etc? and I hope you didn't spend much on it.

3. ottodog

ottodog Junior Member

Thanks nealybird! Yep I also got a 87 Chevy K25 with it. It needs a transfer case so this is turning into more of a project than I wanted.

Is there any way to update the A frame and quad, and use the existing mount and blade?

Guess my other option would be to try and have it repaired. It looks like its been repaired many times before. Neighbor works at a fabrication shop so I guess that's another option.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Try Storks

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yw ottodog. well the closest a-frame and quadrant that would SORT of work would be the conventional pro plow ones. they would be part numbers 60324 and 60328. they would match up with the mount where the pins go in. The problem will be the quadrant to the the ribs on the blade will be different, if I remember right. also the pins on the cylinders changed to 3/4" and the fitting comes out the side instead of the top. I think the best route is to find used ones or have yours welded up.

6. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Like Basher said, try storks in Pa, the specialize in harder to find stuff

7. ottodog

ottodog Junior Member

Thanks all for the advise. I sent storks an email last night, I'll give them a call today if I don't hear back.

If nothing else I'll keep my eye's on craigslist, maybe something will pop up before snow season. Got the neighbor coming over tonight to look at it. Maybe he can come up with something fabrication wise.

One other question, are parts still available for the power unit? It seems strong now, and the seller threw in a spare motor, just curious if its going to be serviceable in the future.

Thanks

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

so it's cable control, right? either way, yes, all the parts for the power unit are still available one way or another.

9. ottodog

ottodog Junior Member

Yep cable control. Good to hear parts are still available for it at least.

My fabrication neighbor thinks he can fix her up right, no problem. Even wanted to know what color powder coat for the blade. Best of all price is $0. Course I've kept his truck going for a couple years now for the same. I'm the electrical brain, welding and fab is Chinese to me.

Thanks again all for the info.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

sounds good. np