1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another overheating thread

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bersh, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I have an 04 GMC Sierra 2500HD that I recently mounted my 8' HD MMII on. The truck really handles the plow nicely, but I too am having the dreaded overheating problem when I drive with the plow on, regardless of position. I had this problem with my previous truck (94 k1500) and it was fixed by changing the fan clutch to a HD unit. I've read here in numerous threads about the updated fan clutch that comes with the snow plowprep package, and I'm going to order one from gmpartsdirect.com today. The model number everyone is throwing around is 15073014. I just want to ask if there is only one version of this fan clutch, as when I search for it on gmpartsdirect, I get a number of returns for various different vehicles. I assume they are all the same, but I want to be sure as this is one of the items that isn't returnable in the event it isn't correct.

As a total side question, my truck does have the heavy duty tow package. Does this mean it has the largest tranny cooler? The tranny temps really climb up when plowing, and I'm wondering if I should be shopping for a larger cooler as well.

Thanks,

Scott

2. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Scott:
    The tranny will run hot plowing as you are on the torque converter constantly(friction). You've probably noticed when you hit the highway and the converter locks up that the temp drops(no more friction). Do you plow in low range? If not, you should as it cuts down on the friction by not working the torque converter as hard. You should have the largest tranny cooler GM makes being you have the tow package. Not sure about the fan blade. I'm sure B&B will chime in here, and fill you in on that subject as he's the encyclopedia of knowledge on this site!:salute:

Regards, Sean

3. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I have started to plow in tow/haul mode, which helps a little. I don't like plowing in low range as it's too easy to lose traction, and the most stuck I've ever been plowing has been while in low range.

The problem is also that once I start cruising with the blade on, the temp doesn't drop like it should due to the restricted air flow. The tranny actually gets a lot hotter driving then it does while plowing. This is more of my concern than the engine temp -the ability for the fan to draw more air through not only the radiator, but the transmission and oil coolers.

Thanks again,

Scott

4. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I should add that when I search for 15710101 on gmpartsdirect.com, it returns with the #15073014, which based on some of the searching here I've done may be the newer version.

Thanks,

Scott

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

bersh, the 15073014 is the old "updated" clutch. The one you want is the 15710101. This is the newest version.. as these plow prep clutches have been updated 3 times since the HD's came out...

In fact if you go back and search GM parts direct with the 15073014 # there will be a foot note that will say that the number has been updated to the 15710101 number...

The updated clutch will also help with your trans temps at low speed (plowing) since it will pull more air across the trans cooler....

Which engine do you have 6.0 or 8.1?

6. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Thanks for the info. I have the 6.0 in my truck.

So should I just order the part from gmpartsdirect and hope it is actually the newer part?

Thanks,

Scott

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep... and since the website specifically states that if your order the 15073014 it will automatically be switched to the new updated 15710101 p/n, you should receive the correct clutch.

8. bersh

bersh Senior Member

I sure hope you're correct as the part is ordered;)

The part number that came up on the final statement was 15710101, so I'm not too worried. If not, guess I have some ebay fodder.

Thanks again,

Scott

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't worry Scott, it'll be right. If you go back and type the 15073014 p/n into the search, it will come back that it's been superseded by the 15073014 p/n.

10. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

so i would assume that having a 2002, i wouldn't have the newest clutch setup. does anyone know what version i have? probably the first/worst one? which is odd because i dont have any problems with the tranny heating up, it goes just south of 200, but i would expect that from the abuse, its no different than hauling my big trailer some distance. and the temp of the engine stays mostly at normal operating temp when going about 45-50mph for 15 miles. it did get pretty hot once until i figured out where to set the height and angle, but it seems fine now. about one click down and two to the left from full right angle.

maybe the height of the truck (tire size and torsion bar settings) and the weight of ballast has a lot to do with the angle and height of the front end allowing better airflow?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Whoops.. meant to type the 15710101 # in..
    :mad:

12. bersh

bersh Senior Member

This brings up a question I've had for years (if I can thread-jack my own thread) - is there any sort of law that dictates what way you can/should have your plow angled while driving? The reason I ask is that in Michigan, at least for public agencies, whenever possible when not plowing they have to run with their blades angled to the left. Supposedly, in the event of a collision, this will cause less damage and/or prevent the other vehicle from getting sucked further into opposing traffic. It also helps prevent the leading edge of the plow blade from contacting the other vehicle, and instead the vehicle would most likely hit somewhere further down the moldboard.

Just curious. When I drive I angle my blade to the left, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to or not.

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

What type of temp. are we talking about when you say hot?

Mine runs around and over 200 all the time with the blade on. If you are worried about that, you can throw an electric fan on the trans cooler. That eleminates that problem.

14. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

mine runs about 200 all the time regardless of the blade. summer, winter, whatever. unless i get the blade wrong lol.

i dont think there's a law on it. at least not around here. i see blades angled both ways and some straight. i angle mine to the right so in a collision it wont kick the rear of my truck around into oncoming traffic, and so theres some give in the left cylinder on an impact, if its angled to the left i wouldnt see much give in a fully compressed cylinder happening. in any case there's no perfect scenario for an accident because you can get hit in so many different places that its tough to say whats best to do.

15. bersh

bersh Senior Member

Depends on where I'm driving as we have lots of hills. Generally, it's hover probably around 200-210°. When I'm heading up hills, it climbs higher to probably close to 250° (so I've been avoiding hills, and not driving around with it mounted unless I have to). Without the plow on, I'd say it stays right around 160-180°. The engine temps are typically right around 200-210° as well, but with the plow on it's climbed close to the red a few times now.