1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yet another Newbie question about...Snow Blowers

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by EnviroTeam, Sep 30, 2006.

1. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

I originally posted this at the bottom of another thread, I guess it should have been done here instead so I have just copied it from there...Sorry about that...anyway, any answers would be appreciated.

Hi guys, new to this forum and first time poster here...I have been plowing for a few years with a GMC 2500 4x4 and myers plow. This year I am going to get into more residential "in town" driveways so I am looking to purchase a walk behind snow blower. I have been reading the posts here and I see the simplicity and aerians mentioned most it seems. I was interested in the Honda's with the tracks but was steered away from tracked machines by a couple of people, their view was that if I am working alone I will be out of luck if it breaks down because you can't really move them on your own with no power. So, I was looking at a new 28" Toro, 10 hp with power steering. It has a real nifty joystick for controlling chute angle and pitch all in one control however the joystick is made of plastic and I am worried it will break when it gets cold. What does everyone think about the Toro's and/or what brand would all you experienced blower guys recommend? Any features I should look for, and is the power steering worth it?

Thanks guys
    Great site
    ET

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you plan on doing walkways or driveways? I have the Toro in a 26" model. You need to load it with ramps into your truck. First night I unloaded it into the garage. When I stepped on the garage floor I slipped and hit my face on the joystick and broke it. I fixed it with a 3/4 x 3/4 piece of angle and it has been great ever since. If you do not need a large machine I would look at the single stage Toro. You can put them in the back of your truck easily and they work very well. $1,000 at HD for the 3650 model. When unloading the larger machine they come down the ramps quite quickly. I have the 7' ramps but it was in a Dodge and it sits quite high, so the angle was steeper then your GM would be.

Doing walkways or small jobs I would buy the single stage unit. I do a 600'x 42" sidewalk with no problem.

3. EnviroTeam

EnviroTeam Member

Thanks, I think I have made my decision

Hi, Thanks for the advice, Hope you didn't hurt your face too badly... ;-) I think I have made my choice though, I have made a pretty good deal on a new Toro 1028 LXE . 10ph 28" and has power steering (snicker) Don't know if the power steering is a good thing or not but hey, it cam with it. Capacity says up to 2100 lbs / minute (I guess that would depend on the type of snow.) My truck has a full width steel ramp on it with great traction and like you said my GMC is not too high, I am hoping she will just walk up it and back down it under power.

My biggest concern with it was all that plastic, (like that chute handle you broke) and the chute itself. I kept voicing my concerns about it to my dealer but he assures me that they havn't had any problems in the five years they have carried them. He even added an extra year of warranty for me to prove his confidence in it....we'll see.

I have quite a mix of small and larger driveways and walks and here in Barrie we can get quite a bit of snow so I decided to go with the bigger model.

Any comments on this machine?

Thanks again
    ET

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think you will be happy with the machine. I have used mine for 2 years, I think it is the 826 and have had no problems. I only use it on the heavier snowfalls. The joy stick control works great and is fast side to side. The machine will go up the ramp easy but going down you will not need reverse, you will be fighting to stop it or slow it down as it comes down the ramp. The electric star is nice. I always started it before I left and then it was easier to pull start at each location.