1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

yet another angling issue

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by bill 4.3l 5spd, Jan 14, 2009.

1. bill 4.3l 5spd

bill 4.3l 5spd Junior Member

I have a western conventional mount cable operated plow on a 94 s10 blazer. It was working fine until last week when i angled it to the left and it would not go back to the right. I replaced the angle cable (casing was cracked, it was moving fine, but i had to change the plate in the controler so while it was apart), and let the truck thaw in a heated garage for about 2 hours. I only had one set of extra couplers so i swaped them around and no change. i took an extra hose and hooked it to the pump connection that would go to the left ram(which was collapsed) and no fluid comes out when i move the connector to the right.

it lifts fine. prior to this on occasion to angle it to the right i would have to go left for an instant, then right and it would work fine. to get myself home and kinda make the plow usable i pulled both rams off and put a bolt in the hole to make it a manual adjust....

help?? ussmileyflag

2. bill 4.3l 5spd

bump??? help?

3. kodiaksnow

kodiaksnow Junior Member

I am having to same problem and need answers. I am at the end of my rope.

4. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

ok guys. pull the cover off for the angle cable. pull the cable off and have someone angle the controller while you turn the lever up and down. does it angle? if yes, problem is in the cable or control. if no, problem is in the power unit.

5. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

we've been using a cable pump for many years. what you describe about having to go to the left then right to make it angle sounds exactly like a problem i had last winter. in my case the angle cable was too stretched out to work any more.

6. bill 4.3l 5spd

cable moved good, but the housing was cracked so i replaced it(after the problem started) i get equal travel both ways.

i tried to pull the cover off and unhook the cable method and still nothing.

i was thinking maybe the poppet inside the block? how do i check that? dont want to screw anything up.

7. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

i don't really know anything about the inner workings of the pumps. here's a parts diagram for them (if my link works) http://j-thomas.com/Catalog/348_western_hydraulic_unit.html how's the up and down? how old is the fluid? i'm wondering if the filter is partially clogged or something? i wish i could help you better :( be patient though cause someone on here will have the answer, it's just a matter of them finding your post. good luck:salute:

8. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you must have someone activate the motor while you move the lever up and down.