1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Yesterdays Ice Storm

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by EGLC, Dec 10, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Was out since 3am and this happened at 5am two blocks from my house when heading out a second time......over 4k in damage and counting....

IMG00146.jpg

2. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

was you wife chasing you with a golf club too!:laughing:

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

not funny.karma is a *****.

4. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'm 19 and happily not married....I was in 3rd gear and four wheel LOW.....trucks had just come buy and scraped to pavement, we were getting sleet and there was absolutely no salt or sand on the roads, rounded a curve and the truck wouldnt turn....did my best as you can see to doing a full head on in the center of the grille lol

it was so bad it took the cop 20mins to get to me in a 4x4 suv

5. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

Hope Everything Gets Better What Did You Hit?

6. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

a telephone pole....damage is actually worse then it looks hahaha....all the mounts for the right fender got F'd up so thats getting replaced, hook is shot, grille, bumpers, all bumper mounts have to be cut and reweld, lights, all mounts on right side of truck basically got pancaked.

7. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

damn that was a sudden stop the ins. isnt going to total it?

8. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

no way the trucks only a 03 with 77k miles and its worth A LOT more then $4k hahahaha....no drivetrain parts got F'd up so......

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Why 4 low?

10. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I wasnt going over 15mph n it was working better then high.....dont know why it was working better, but obviously didnt help enough hahaha

11. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My theory would be that you dont want to hit your brakes hard in ice cause you would slide and letting of the gas might give the same effect. Anyway I hope you get it up and running again soon. Ice can be nasty.

12. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

gald your ok EGLC :nod: truck can be fixed good as new :drinkup:

13. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Ouch that hurts! Did it get your core support to? If so those are what can be pricey

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have no idea....its already at the body shop, last time I saw it they were tearing it apart....I put up my end of the deal, insurance has the rest...

15. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

:drinkup:Good thing is your still here to talk about it- Ice is nasty; 4lo, 4 hi, doesn't really matter without traction. Hope they fix her up good as new-:drinkup:

16. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

Dam that does suck. Just be glad no one else was involved. Like mine was 2 years ago :( i took the front end of an avalanche off with my plow :( DAM ICE!! I tried brakes i tried driving into a ditch, i even tried droping my plow. But i still slid on the ice.

4hi/4low doesnt matter in ice. But i have always been told to keep it in 4hi no matter what. No need to keep switching it around.

Only thing i can say that i learned from my wreck. Make sure you have good snow tires on, and drive slow, yes drive slow. Plan everything out 1/2 mile before your ever gonna do it. You have to know where your going. If theres a corner up the road, slow down. If theres a stop sign, slow down.

Ice can be a beyatch and tear your truck apart by sliding you into poles. But you did drive it into it.

Oh and i got a C&I ticket for my wreck when i slid on ice. So be glad that the cops at least didnt give you a ticket.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  17. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

well if there was a plow on that truck.......

18. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Who's going to handle your customers while the repairs are being done ??

19. ejsmass2

ejsmass2 Member

The first time I got stopped by a cop

The first time I was stopped by a cop was in Concord NH. I was in HS ( im 38 now) and up there for a wrestling tournament. I went for early weigh in and headed back to the hotel in about 6 to 8 inches of snow. I was 16 with only a permit and was driving my moms jeep grand wagoneer (the old big ones). I got back to the hotel and was in the shower when there was a knock @ the door. It was the cops. He had followed the tracks in the snow as it was early and nobody was out. He told me I has been driving way too fast and that I should always remember that while 4 wheel drive would get me going it took me just as long to stop as anybody else. He did not give me a ticket but rather a life lesson that rings in my ears to this day everytime I drive in bad weather.

I appreciate the learning experience I got that day. The world could use more people like that officer.

20. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

It should be done by tuesday/wednsday. We're not supposed to get any snow but if we do I have a few guys who wouldn't mind doing the. I can also run a shovel crew out of my dads 2500 C/C dodge if needed. I only service just under 20 accounts, this is my first year.