1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

yes or no for plow feet?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crew, Dec 8, 2000.

1. crew

crew Junior Member

Do you leave plow feet on or take them off? The only application where these make sense to me is on gravel.Whats up with those thangs?
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

well i leave mine on but adjust them to be level with my plow edge i think that it gives it a little more support .
  3. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Another good application is "door stops".
  4. finnegan

finnegan Senior Member

we don't run with shoes on but we still use them

we cut off the shoe part and weld heavy duty casters to the shafts,then we pull up to the garage put our wheels on and roll our blades into storage
  5. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Use the search button in the top right corner for a few fun discussions on plow shoes.
  6. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Plow shoes are a joke! They don't help on gravel unless it is frozen and if it IS then you don't need shoes. I never figured the shoes were there to support the plow anyhow but to help cut down on wear on the cutting edge.
  7. fivestr19

fivestr19 Junior Member

mine are still on for the simple fact that im to lazy to take them off.
  8. crash22201

crash22201 Junior Member

I had shoes on mine but i took them off. now they
    hold my garage door open.
    my opinion is they are junk. They serve no
    purpose. I would take them off and through
    them in the corner.
  9. landscaper3

landscaper3 Senior Member

Thats the first thing that comes off all our plows are the shoes. I like finnegans idea about the wheels on the shoes.
  10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a pick-up bed full of shoes, out on the "back 40".

11. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

A tip o' the hat to finnegan. Great Idea !!!

Who'd a thunk it!!! I tossed my shoes a long time ago, but I wish I had thought of the wheels.

Keep of the good work finnegan.
  12. crew

crew Junior Member

That is a fantastic idea to put wheels on. Thanks to you all.PS I did try the search option and nothing specific to plow feet came up.
  13. MJ

MJ Senior Member

try "shoe"
  14. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Does that mean that the 'shaft' is the foot that fits the 'shoe' ???

What's that make the pin that holds them on ??

Shoelaces ??
  15. RB

RB Senior Member

Finnegan - You Da Man!!
  16. MJ

MJ Senior Member

John, maybe the "ankle"?

17. theSnoMan

theSnoMan Junior Member

I would have to agree with everyone in here. When we've tried'em in the past almost always the heads are ripped off of 'em in a few snows. Don't waste your time.
  18. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I use them for door stops and wheel chocks.I think they would make a good anchor for a small boat too.If you have a Fisher plow,and trip the edge real hard,the bottom of the shoes will dent the backside of the moldboard big time,they will put a dent in them about 2-3" deep,just one more reason to take them off,especially if you have Fishers like I do.
  19. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

I use them to introduce people to welding. I clamp the shoes in a vice, bring out the 7024 rod and the auto helmet and tell the novice to stop when it is built up 1/2". Then we throw them in the pile with the rest of the shoes, and have a beer.
  20. SCL

SCL Senior Member

I have to agree with John. I have a gravel lot that I have to plow with shoes on. Tripped my 8' Fisher real hard and dented the heck out of the moldboard. If you can get away from em, do it!